Reasonable adjustments ignored

Options
I have a significant and chronic muscular skeletal problem. The Occupational Health doctor made recommendations to my employer for reasonable adjustments to my job in 2006. This was carried out and I have worked since having had good support. Last year, my job changed and I became more office based although I could still move around and go out to meetings.
However, since March this year, my job role has changed yet again and I am spending the majority of my time at the computer. I told my manager in July 2012 that reasonable adjustments mean that I cannot spend all my time at the computer. I was told that this office based work would change very soon. It didn't and in a meeting was told that we would continue to do this office work and had to do it even quicker to achieve targets. In October, my symptoms flared up, I went to see my GP and I am now not fit for work. I have seen occupational health who are not happy with the employer. They have not done a risk assessment, a display screen assessment etc. I am now waiting for a meeting with HR, Occ health but am worried about what I should be saying. I think that they will want me to take some kind of VER /severance scheme but I am very unlikely to get a job elswhere and at my age. Can anyone advise me what to do next please?

Comments

• CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Options
    I have a significant and chronic muscular skeletal problem. The Occupational Health doctor made recommendations to my employer for reasonable adjustments to my job in 2006. This was carried out and I have worked since having had good support. Last year, my job changed and I became more office based although I could still move around and go out to meetings.
    However, since March this year, my job role has changed yet again and I am spending the majority of my time at the computer. I told my manager in July 2012 that reasonable adjustments mean that I cannot spend all my time at the computer. I was told that this office based work would change very soon. It didn't and in a meeting was told that we would continue to do this office work and had to do it even quicker to achieve targets. In October, my symptoms flared up, I went to see my GP and I am now not fit for work. I have seen occupational health who are not happy with the employer. They have not done a risk assessment, a display screen assessment etc. I am now waiting for a meeting with HR, Occ health but am worried about what I should be saying. I think that they will want me to take some kind of VER /severance scheme but I am very unlikely to get a job elswhere and at my age. Can anyone advise me what to do next please?

Hi

if your employer won't make reasonable adjustments to accomodate you then you may ultimately have a claim for disability discrimination at an Employment Tribunal. Follow the link below :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/discrimination_e/discrimination_discrimination_because_of_disability_e/disability_discrimination.htm

However, it's best to talk to your employer first to try to sort out the matter by perhaps raising an official grievance. Follow the link below to the adviceguide website for information on how you can do this:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_problems_at_work_e.htm

In terms of the arguments that you might be able to put forward to persuade them to make and stick with reasonable adjustments the ACAS Helpline (08457 47 47 47) may be able to help you with this. There is also the Access to Work scheme designed to help disabled individuals remain in the workplace. Information on this scheme and other agencies who can assist you with this problem can be found via the discrimination link above

Suggest you also visit your local CAB who can talk through the issues with you face to face and help you with the grievance process.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure