Critical Illness Cover

Hi, We are taking out a larger mortgage to buy a bigger property, just wondering what your views are regarding critical illness cover?

We have taken it up but starting to have second thoughts!
You can't con an honest man!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ask anyone who has claimed. Around 1 in 6 will have a claimable event before retirement. Life cover is around 1 in 5 so there isnt much difference.

As long as your policy is comprehensive and guaranteed (rather than core conditions and reviewable) and you didn't buy it from a bank/building society, then you should have good value.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Agree with Dunstonh.

As long as affordability is ok with your scenario - I would always look at this type of cover.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    If budget limited I would always check out long term Income protection ( PHI) prior to crit illness
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • johannamse
    johannamse Posts: 498 Forumite
    Don't want to throw spanner in works, but (I think) Martin always recommend's income protection ins over critical illness cover, as so many critical illness covers are so specific in what they cover and don't cover and are hard to claim from. If you have the book, I think there is a section in there on it. Hope this helps. Maybe post on the insurance board.
  • dunstonh
    I doubt Martin makes any recommendation in an area that is regulated from an advice point of view ;) Suggestions on what to investigate may be a better way of wording it.

Advice areas are often prioritised (with the company in question interpreting the FSA guidelines) and I know advice companies that have CI above PHI and the other way round. Personally, I work on the basis that they are both in the illness area and have equal pegging in second place behind life protection. It really depends on occupation, affordability, exisiting benefits and goals as to which turns out best at the end of the day.

PHI provides income after a deferment period. Its quite possible to suffer a critical illness and be able to return to work within 6 months. A PHI policy with 6 months deferment would pay nothing. A critical illness policy would pay out the lump sum. My youngest claiment was aged 26 and only had a few weeks off work in total. She got mortgage paid off and additional lump sum. A PHI policy would have paid nothing.

However, the reverse also works. What happens if you dont suffer a critical illness but have a long term illness? CI policy would be no good but a PHI policy would be.
    so many critical illness covers are so specific in what they cover and don't cover and are hard to claim from

Income protection policies are potentially worse than CI policies in that respect. The issues with CI policies are making sure you get a provider that covers a comprehensive range of critical illnesses (rather than just a core cover policy) and that the policy is guaranteed and not reviewable.

PHI policies have different ways of deciding what is an illness. Some of these can be tasks related, some of them are on a doctors report.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I look at things on the basis that someone's income is the mainstay , ie if Crit illness is suffered, but little time off work, then surely the "lumpsum pay out" is more of a windfall ( not what insurance is about), whereas if income is lost due to long term sickness ( for an illness covered by Crit Ill or not) then at least day to day expenses can be paid . In ideal world both would be covered, depends on budget and other ( employee) benefits available
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Fairdo_2
    Fairdo_2 Posts: 442 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote:
    Advice areas are often prioritised (with the company in question interpreting the FSA guidelines) and I know advice companies that have CI above PHI and the other way round. Personally, I work on the basis that they are both in the illness area and have equal pegging in second place behind life protection. It really depends on occupation, affordability, exisiting benefits and goals as to which turns out best at the end of the day.

Agree with DD on the points mentioned in his post (above), but wonder about one factor on there that may not put life cover as 1st priority. DD absolutely correct the different companies place PHI & CIC in different 2nd & 3rd place and I would put them equal 2nd as a professional adviser.

Small point though, but I personally would not always put Life Cover has a high priority. Single person with no dependents and no wish to leave assets on death, I would put CIC (Critical Illness Cover) & PHI (Permanent Health Insurance) equally 1st.

However, due to relative costs and the possibilty that circumstances could change for that person, a lot of times, these clients may just take up the Life Cover within the package anyway.

Given the massive difference in cost between Life Cover & CIC, there is a very good reason to go for CIC if affordable (as long as with comprehensive coverage as already stated). This is more expensive because it has more potential to cost the Life Company, therefore, meaning more chance of a claim on that type of policy.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh

Small point though, but I personally would not always put Life Cover has a high priority. Single person with no dependents and no wish to leave assets on death, I would put CIC (Critical Illness Cover) & PHI (Permanent Health Insurance) equally 1st.

I agree. Although life cover would still be first priority to review. It would be ruled out due to no need, then move onto the next priority to review....etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure