ISA Dilemma - advice sought

Options
Dear Friends

I have carefully read all of the advice articles on MoneySavingExpert about Fixed ISAs BUT I am a bit confused. My problem is this: my Fixed Rate ISA with COVENTRY is about to mature and I am wondering what to do next.

The Coventry has offered me another Fixed Rate at 1.75% AER fixed until Nov 2021 which seems pretty good compared to others. BUT I am wondering whether to stay with Coventry or jump ship and transfer - but if so, where to? Is 42 months too long, given the volatility of the interest rate situation at the moment? Your sage advice would be very welcome. Thank you!

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dear Friends

I have carefully read all of the advice articles on MoneySavingExpert about Fixed ISAs BUT I am a bit confused. My problem is this: my Fixed Rate ISA with COVENTRY is about to mature and I am wondering what to do next.

The Coventry has offered me another Fixed Rate at 1.75% AER fixed until Nov 2021 which seems pretty good compared to others. BUT I am wondering whether to stay with Coventry or jump ship and transfer - but if so, where to? Is 42 months too long, given the volatility of the interest rate situation at the moment? Your sage advice would be very welcome. Thank you!

I switched my cash ISA's to stocks and shares years ago, have you considered equities?
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a fixed rate ISA with Coventry building society which matures in November. It was the last cash ISA I opened before moving to stocks and shares. It is earning 2.6% and I was going to see what rate they offered but if only 1.75% and fixed for that length of time I will be transferring into my stocks and shares isa. As Chuck says have you considered that?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

You can get standard (ie non-ISA) 1yr fixed rates higher than that - and as long as you earn less than £1000pa in taxable interest, there's no tax to pay.

NS&I are offering 1.95% over 3yrs (and you get "fixed-rate ISA" like access...), so again, as long as your interest (from all non-ISA accounts) is below £1000........
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    The £1000 only applies if you have sufficient other income, lots of lower earners cannot benefit from this.

You need to have (current tax year) at least £16,850 of other income before the Personal Savings Allowance can be of any use to you.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife happens to have an instant access Cash ISA that pays unusually good interest rates and is a Flexible ISA. She's instructed the transfer of her money to that. It will now form part of our emergency cash fund.

I have instructed that my money be paid into a current account so that we can both contribute to a SIPP this year. Ain't I good to her?

Put otherwise, start by identifying your purpose.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • letiss7
    letiss7 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in the same position and have decided to transfer the money into an S&S ISA.
    No. 5 in the 'Save 12k for 2021' thread.
    £4250/£12000
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 May 2018 at 1:03PM
    Options
    The £1000 only applies if you have sufficient other income, lots of lower earners cannot benefit from this.

You need to have (current tax year) at least £16,850 of other income before the Personal Savings Allowance can be of any use to you.

True, but then either way you'd still pay no tax on non-ISA interest.
    Such lower earners do not need to be able to benefit from the PSA, as they are already paying no tax on their interest.

The point is that there is little incentive for most people (not all), to use a Cash ISA now.....you can get better rates from non-ISA accounts and still pay no tax on the interest......there are some, those who have over £16850 of other taxable income and then earn over £1000pa in non-ISA interest (or would), who may still benefit from using Cash ISAs for cash accounts....(and for clarity higher rate taxpayers only get £500 PSA, and Additional rate get no PSA).

PS - Fixed rate Cash ISAs do have one potential benefit, in that you can access the cash at any time (albeit at a penalty)....however that's why I mentioned NS&I, whose Guaranteed Growth Bonds have a similar clause (unlike many fixed rate accounts/bonds)
  • David_Drummond
    Options
    No... I am a bit nervous about doing that as I don;t really understand the stock market. Have you made more doing this? I'd appreciate any advice you can offer this investment novice.
  • David_Drummond
    Options
    My position is this - I am a old aged pensioner and my income is about 11k per annum. I already have £20k stashed in a 123 account. This ISA maturing has caused me to consider options to maximise the interest on that separate sum. I will look into NS&I and see if I can switch over. I also need to look into a S&Shares ISA. Thanks for all your advice.
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    As an OAP you may not want to get involved in the volatility of the stock market if you can't handle the possibility of a 50% crash and wait 5-10 years for it to recover
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure