Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 November 2019 at 9:28PM
    [QUOTE=zagubov;76430353

]The happiest retirees are those who keep working
    Really??
    (but we're talking part-time). The happiest of these are the ones doing jobs similar to their pre-retirement work (starting a new type of job can be stressful and counter-productive).

Retiring 100% all at once is a daft way to switch to retirement.
    Totally disagree. If you have enough interests outside work you can thrive...

[/QUOTE]

Well I can assure you that whatever the findings I retired 100%!
    I went to art college, have been a volunteer, go on holidays in the off peak season etc etc.Fortunately not everyone fits your theory!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Fortunately not everyone fits your theory!
    It would be a sad world if we were all the same :beer:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,600 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Keep an eye out in local shops and even lamp posts for signs/posters from groups and advertising regular events, I found my Zumba Gold class this way!

There may be a local organisation online which advertises volunteer vacancies, I know if I Google "Volunteer Suffolk" it's top of the results, and the rest of the page give even more links to different organizations aside from the national ones.

Churches often have social activities removed from the religious aspect.
  • As you've mentioned the do-it website, I'll assume volunteering might be an interest you may pursue. Locally we have something called Community Action, similar to do-it. So perhaps an on-line search for similar in your area might reveal something you'd be willing to give up time for. I picked up 2 roles that way, 'work' commitments with no salary & easy to take holidays whenever I want/need to. 1 1/2 hrs in one place & 4 hrs in another.

Also, we discovered the Odeon have a Silver Cinema on Tues & Thurs matinee times. Films shown have usually been out about 6 weeks or so, (not that out of date). We go a LOT, cost £3 pp with free coffee & biscuits. That's if you like the cinema & it's a pastime you can do on your own.

I didn't think I'd ever be interested in a Zumba class, not being 25, size 10, with all the designer fitness gear (& a couch potato). But like KxMx #14, someone once mentioned Zumba Gold to me, so I just typed it into Google for my area - frankly it's perfect & if it wasn't politically incorrect the classes could more fittingly be called "Zumba Old", movement not to frenetic!

That has led me on to sticking "fitness for over 50's" into google (being 65 but not arthritic yet), quite a lot of various leisure centre classes aimed at the older generation, with concessionary rates & no membership fee.

I think Google is your best bet.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,804 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The local paper. I suspect it depends on the region / type of locality but ours has several pages each week reporting on events and local clubs (sporting, crafting, WI etc)
  • There are loads of wildlife and environment volunteering opportunities.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/closer-to-nature/volunteer
    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/support-us/act/volunteer-with-us/
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering-fundraising/volunteer/

Or simply just go walking and see how many birds or animals or insects or plants you can find. It quickly becomes a very enjoyable hobby.
    I don't believe it!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Well I can assure you that whatever the findings I retired 100%!
    I went to art college, have been a volunteer, go on holidays in the off peak season etc etc.Fortunately not everyone fits your theory!

I feel much the same way, though in fairness I've only been retired since the end of June, the last two months of which were reduced hours.

So far I'm loving it and work feels like something I did years ago. I dont evervwant to go back to it. I feel that in due course I will join more activities, but at the moment I am enjoying being relatively solitary and finally having g time to pursue hobbies.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There’s an amazing number of things to do when retired. We are in our 11th year and the number times I have been bored is negligible

I am hoping to be a Citizens Advice adviser in the New Year. Unlike a lot of voluntary work you have to have training, 4-5 months. I am really looking forward to it.

When we first retired we joined U3A. It took up a lot of time but our experiences were very positive. We met new Scrabble and bridge friends and learnt new activities such as Mah Jong and croquet (turned out I was very good at the latter, never would have “thunk”it :D) I also ran the Quiz group.

Have a great time, whatever you end up doing
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I google first of all things to do locally to me and find oodles' every days. Also a free local rag has a daily list of things to do about 30 things daily including yoga/walks/films/volunteering etc etc

Then look in library/tourist info when going past

I am also signed up to local what's on websites which post stuff

Local community caf! has posters and flyers
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We have a monthly magazine promoting local firms. It has a section on churches, choirs, walking groups and various organisations which depend on volunteers.

I did volunteer with one, in spite of the number bring wrong.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure