MSE 'We test eBay vs Facebook' blog discussion

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 April 2019 at 6:13PM in Boost your income
We test eBay vs Facebook selling prices - which wins?

Read the full blog: We test eBay vs Facebook selling prices - which wins?

Comments

• Facebook wins every time buyer collect, most things sell within 24 hours no packaging, no running down the post office and expensive fees Bye Bye EBay 😂👍
  • the pound listings are great as Ebay don't make more money than you ! Becareful when listing on the £1 promotions as you cannot set the time of the listing it automatically sets for a 30 DAY listing period and you cannot alter, for some products and if your item doesn't sell within this time it automatically relists and you are 1 charged a listing fee and 2 then when your item sells it reverts to the 10% charge final fee.

They are also limiting you to a certain number of promotional items per year.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    move2leeds wrote: »
    the pound listings are great as Ebay don't make more money than you ! Becareful when listing on the £1 promotions as you cannot set the time of the listing it automatically sets for a 30 DAY listing period and you cannot alter, for some products and if your item doesn't sell within this time it automatically relists and you are 1 charged a listing fee and 2 then when your item sells it reverts to the 10% charge final fee.

They are also limiting you to a certain number of promotional items per year.

As you say the BIN listings can now only be GTC, I put a sticky announcement up as there was a lot of talk about it on various forums:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5984456

Ebay have confirmed that as long as you have available listings when it renews then you will not be charged a listing fee on the relist. Also the business news released yesterday has made some additional changes to the way the billing period on GTC listings work:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5996323

Virtually all of the private seller offfers include auction, so you don't have to use a BIN if you don't want.

As for limiting the promo offers, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. There is no cap on the amount of offers that sellers receive, although not all sellers get the same offers at the same time. There is also the big difference between private and business sellers. There is a long running thread that you can subscribe to that notifies when people see offers so that you can check your own account, the thread is here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3824175
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Facebook for me

I sell a lot of stuff via FB, often large items we no longer want - Id hate the think what the postage would be for a table tennis table for example :)

Also because its a local group I sell on, I quite often buy from people I actually know and I know Im getting good quality - esp when it comes to children clothes and toys

Because theres no fees, no postage etc, prices can be a lot lower than eBay . And posts stay on the page until they sell. Ive listed things, had no interest, forgot all about them, then 3 or 4 months later, someone messages and voila - sold
  • fallen121
    fallen121 Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I run a Facebook Buy & Sell page for books - the people who join read and collect a particular niche genre of of book, particularly classic boys and girl's adventure and school stories from the 1940s and 1950s. We generally already know each other from membership of clubs and associations connected to our collecting hobby, although the nationwide and international nature of the group means that postage IS involved.

The problem we've been having is that sales posts frequently fall foul of the Facebook "prohibited items" filter because the books are "young adult" and involve terms which Facebook's automated systems frequently misinterpret. So for example, books called "A Walk in Wolf Wood" and "They Both Liked Dogs" were removed because you are not allowed to sell live animals. And books involving cowboys have been taken down because the cover illustrations sometimes show young men in ten gallon hats riding horses with guns strapped to their saddles and this violates the firearms policy! So although we enjoy buying and selling with others who share our collecting interests, it is not without problems.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    fallen121 wrote: »
    I run a Facebook Buy & Sell page for books - the people who join read and collect a particular niche genre of of book, particularly classic boys and girl's adventure and school stories from the 1940s and 1950s. We generally already know each other from membership of clubs and associations connected to our collecting hobby, although the nationwide and international nature of the group means that postage IS involved.

The problem we've been having is that sales posts frequently fall foul of the Facebook "prohibited items" filter because the books are "young adult" and involve terms which Facebook's automated systems frequently misinterpret. So for example, books called "A Walk in Wolf Wood" and "They Both Liked Dogs" were removed because you are not allowed to sell live animals. And books involving cowboys have been taken down because the cover illustrations sometimes show young men in ten gallon hats riding horses with guns strapped to their saddles and this violates the firearms policy! So although we enjoy buying and selling with others who share our collecting interests, it is not without problems.

I am unable to sell a Beswick horse as it violates their live animal policy. This week as well I was warned that my vintage brass vase violated their animal policy as well- although I have absolutely no idea why.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    soolin wrote: »
    I am unable to sell a Beswick horse as it violates their live animal policy. This week as well I was warned that my vintage brass vase violated their animal policy as well- although I have absolutely no idea why.

The very idea! How dare you! Trying to sell a Beswick, even if it not such a rare horse! Next, you'll be wanting to sell a matching pair of Staffordshire China dogs!!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Hi, I'm new to Facebook - never really wanted to use it but recently been interested in selling via market place etc. Ive tried twice and subsequently had my account disabled, I'm about to try again with a new email address - any tips?
    Im confused regarding why this happened and despite many attempts to make contact via various fb forms, I've had nothing back to help resolve what i may have done wrong.
    I opened a private account and then a business page and next i joined as many local selling groups as i could. Next thing i new, account disabled!????
  • Hi can i contact you by dm?
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Facebook for me

I sell a lot of stuff via FB, often large items we no longer want - Id hate the think what the postage would be for a table tennis table for example :)

Also because its a local group I sell on, I quite often buy from people I actually know and I know Im getting good quality - esp when it comes to children clothes and toys

Because theres no fees, no postage etc, prices can be a lot lower than eBay . And posts stay on the page until they sell. Ive listed things, had no interest, forgot all about them, then 3 or 4 months later, someone messages and voila - sold

^^ exactly this.

Frustrating part is when 'buyers' don't bother to come and collect the items they want and don't tell you they've changed their mind but worth the hassle imo for a number of items when you factor in postage, paypal and eBay fees.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family