Sorting it all out... a 'got to start somewhere' diary

Comments

• kr147
    kr147 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So I kind of left this forum because for absolutely no reason someone was really mean to me on another thread. I thought MSE would be different, but I guess all forums are the same.

I don't know why people hide behind the anonymity of the internet and are really unkind to each other. The world has enough problems.
    Mortgage Total #1: £166,000 OPs so far: £10,250
    Mortgage Total #2: £60,900 OPs so far: £0
    --
    Reno target: plastering spare room £500
    --
    Targets: Make £ from selling items online. 
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi kr147 :beer:you are welcome to post here any time and I am sure no one will pick on you. If they do they are treated like a troll. You are welcome here. :beer::j:):T
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • kr147
    Life circumstances changing again! We've had some financial pressures recently but things are looking up are hopefully going to b back on the straight and narrow again soon. And... we're moving! We are buying a 'project' so it is going to be a lot of work. We are borrowing some money from my OH's parents for some of the building work. Chances are I am going to be hanging out on the DIY pages a lot!
    --
    --
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
  • Good to see you again Kr! Life's never simple and straightforward is it - though I tell myself that if nothing ever changed it would be boring :rotfl:

Good luck with the move. How much of a project is it? Will you be living on site while doing the work or is it a complete gut and rebuild? I've always had fantasies of buying an old church (no idea why a church, but that's always what it is!) and converting it into a house. However, I know that in reality what would happen is that I'd still be camped out in whichever bit was liveable 5 years down the line and not much would have actually happened on the rest of it!! I'm very envious of people who have the time, money and ability to do it though!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • kr147
    Thanks Pinknsparkly!

How much of a project is it... that's a good question! I got the survey back today but luckily there were no surprises. There has been a family living in there, but it really looks like it has had students there for 10 years as it is quite a mess. There are a few building-type things that need doing (we are borrowing money from the in-laws for it) and much of the rest I will do myself. I'm pretty handy and am happy to forgo the telly-watching in the evening and pick up a few new skills (I've been obsessively watching videos on YouTube of people insulating floors, building stud walls and putting in toilets!) It's amazing how much you can get done in your spare time if you really focus.

We will be living on site although the survey says it needs completely re-wiring (which I had suspected and budgeted for) so we will need to live offsite for that I think. Eek!
    --
    --
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hooray for the new place and for having the skills to do it up. Well done.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Zoee
    Zoee Posts: 61 Forumite
    kr147 wrote: »
    I had a meeting with a mortgage advisor today. He was a typical wide-boy...
    Can you expand and say what is a 'wide-boy'? Never heard that expression before

.. we're moving! We are buying a 'project' so it is going to be a lot of work.
    Well done!

Certain it will be an enjoyable project especially once you focus on the end goal when it's finished (no matter how long it takes) of finally owing a home for your growing family!
  • kr147 wrote: »
    Sooo currently looking looking at perhaps buying a house. Something nearby that my mum can live in too (childcare!), and we will move into gradually as my role (and attached accom) may change. So I may also become a Mortgage Free Wannabe! That's the dream anyway.....

As a money-spinner.... I always say 'yes' when services I use ask if I would consider being a case study. I've so far made £200 in Amazon vouchers from doing this!

I'm interested in the case studies - could you expand more.

I've took part in a Narcolepsy study 2 years ago - it was quite well paid (well, for someone with no earning ability!) I was a full time carer back then so it was like an adventure holiday!
    If tha' brexit, tha' pays for it.
  • Scaredforthefuture
    Scaredforthefuture Posts: 192 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2018 at 10:22AM
    So I kind of left this forum because for absolutely no reason someone was really mean to me on another thread. I thought MSE would be different, but I guess all forums are the same.

I don't know why people hide behind the anonymity of the internet and are really unkind to each other. The world has enough problems.

Some boards seem to attract some real know-it-alls who don't was to discuss anything , just focus on one element of what you've said like a dog with a bone!

(Why are some posts thankable and others not? Scaredforthefuture is scared to ask!)
    If tha' brexit, tha' pays for it.
  • kr147
    I'm back again! Now I have a toddler, still in the do-er-upper that I was buying on my last post... oh dear this renovation lark is expensive! I've changed my work so that I'm full time with the PAYE job. It pays really well but I have no idea where the money goes. I need to sort out that budget planner immediately! Annoyingly I got a surprise £1k electrical work bill and I need to spend £2.2k getting the chimney fixed. It's never straight forward! Some good things:
    • I'm currently overpaying £250 a month on the mortgage 
    • I've got a savings account set up for my boy
    • I'm doing a lot of the renovation myself
    Still.... I want to do these things:
    • Do a proper budget
    • Save more for retirement
    • Get a hold of my spending
    • Sell unnecessary things (I have too much stuff!)
    So.... Looking forward to getting back involved in this ace MSE forums. I'm up for doing some challenges, any ideas which I should join?

--
    --
    SPC 14 #064 Total 
    £486.64
    SPC 2023 #036
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family