Electric cars

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 January 2017 at 8:42PM
    Jonamora wrote: »
    Just wanted people's opinions on buying an electric car?

Before long all cars will be electric and therfore is it best to sell petrol car at full value and invest in electric car.

I don't want to start a new finance deals for 4 years and be complete but then left with and cat nobody wants or has resale value because all are electric.....thoughts

Jonathan

You will be long forgotten before electric cars are all you can buy.

Just checkout the number of electric cars for sale with super low mileages, most likely the buyer found out it was not really suitable for their needs.

Easy way to lose a lot of money at the moment an electric car.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Jonamora wrote: »
    Just wanted people's opinions on buying an electric car?

Before long all cars will be electric and therfore is it best to sell petrol car at full value and invest in electric car.

I don't want to start a new finance deals for 4 years and be complete but then left with and cat nobody wants or has resale value because all are electric.....thoughts

Jonathan
    Really :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Used electric cars have such terrible residuals I would be tempted, if I had anywhere to charge one. For the same reason I think buying a new one would be a very bad idea.
  • Jonamora wrote: »
    Before long all cars will be electric

Yeah, right.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mobeer wrote: »
    Used electric cars have such terrible residuals I would be tempted, if I had anywhere to charge one. For the same reason I think buying a new one would be a very bad idea.

I charge mine at work, no congestion charge and free parking in Westminster (Which I use all of on a daily basis)

It works out well for me as I literally have no running costs
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    dacouch wrote: »
    I charge mine at work, no congestion charge and free parking in Westminster (Which I use all of on a daily basis)

Really?

No insurance? No servicing? No tyre wear? No other maintenance? No depreciation or finance costs?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Really?

No insurance? No servicing? No tyre wear? No other maintenance? No depreciation or finance costs?

Insurance is low, servicing every three years, no finance costs and obviously I replace tyres.

Any depriciation is easily outweighed by £55 a week I save on the congestion charge plus the savings I make on not buying fuel.

Electric vehicles are not for everyone but mine works out well for me
  • AdrianC
    Insurance is low, servicing every three years, no finance costs and obviously I replace tyres.

Any depriciation is easily outweighed by £55 a week I save on the congestion charge plus the savings I make on not buying fuel.

Electric vehicles are not for everyone but mine works out well for me

Lovely, but "literally no running costs" is definitely an alternative truth, isn't it?
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

At the moment a lot of people are saying that they run an electric car and get their 'fuel' for free (employer allows charging, motorway service charging points etc). This is all part of the drive to get people to change, but as soon as a substantial number of cars are electric, this will not be sustainable and every owner will have to pay market rate for their charging. No such thing as a free lunch, in the longer term.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • AdrianC
    BTW, if work are paying for your private-use electricity (and, yes, that includes commuting), I do hope you're declaring it as a benefit in kind?

Point 5.5 on here...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519209/factsheet-tax-implications-refresh.pdf
    If an employer provides electricity to an employee to charge their own car, a benefit in kind arises representing the cost of the electricity used, which must be reported to HMRC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback