One Call Car Insurance Cancellation Warning

So this is totally my fault but it seems in my opinion utterly rediculous so I thought I would post it incase in helps someone in the future...

I recently choose one call insurance for my car insurance - the policy is due to start in just under a month.
I decided to go with them as they where the cheapest and beat the renewal from my current insurer.

however my current insurance got back to me and decided they could beat one call insurance by 50quid...happy days!

I rang one call to cancel my policy, this was done within 7 days and almost a month before the policy starts and I was informed I would have to pay a £50 setup fee!!!

when i questioned what this was for, she said for setting things up and doing checks, even though the policy hasnt started yet and even though I hadnt submitted my driving license number or national insurance number (which they say they need to do these checks). Basically it was utter !!!!!!!!, as I have cancelled things in the past with other companies at no cost.

I couldnt find mention of this in any of the confirmation emails but she said it was all outlined in the documents when i put my pay details in and i could access the docuemnts if i logged in...

I went back through and raised a new quote and proceeded to payment and indeed, if you click to view some of the documents you can find the cancellation fee (they could certainly make it more obvious), so i guess its my own fault, I skim read it and assumed since my policy doesnt start till march, then thats when the cooling off period would start (stupid me)

Im usually pretty scrupulous when it comes to these things and i admit I should have spotted this so i guess theres nothing I can do about it. However I thought i would log this as a word of warning to always read the Ts and Cs properly!:mad:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,294 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When you buy via a comparison site, the provider has to pay the comparison site. Even if you go onto cancel.

Also, in attempts to get premiums lower, they will try to factor in charges for those creating work to avoid others having to cross subsidise them. i.e. why should the costs you have created be passed to others in increased premiums?

It is very common for providers to have cancellation fees nowadays. Even within the cancellation rights period.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure