Is you salary / house out performed by your pension.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Obviously this is very much relate to age.
    bear in mind average house value is around £260K and that you be owned by a couple
    For a decent retirement you need at least £600k I’d say per person, so at some point in middle age you’d expect to reach B and later on reach A, strongly linked to age IMO.
  • Our pensions are worth twice what the equity in our house is. This year they have done very poorly, losing quite a bit in value.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • No advice offered or requested here, just my inquisitive nature. Does anyone have a pension pot(s) that is:
    A) Earning more than they are. i.e. average annual growth now exceeds net earned income (prior to salary sacrifice and other voluntary deductions)
    or
    B) Worth more that their (main) residence
    or
    C) both of the above.

Just purely out of interest :)

for B) do you mean worth more than the value of their main residence or worth more than the equity they own in their main residence?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 February 2019 at 8:46PM
    Depends what you mean by "earn". Since I am not employed my earnings are zero so any income on my savings and pension, even 1p wins.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Neither A,B or C for me.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Our pensions are worth twice what the equity in our house is. This year they have done very poorly, losing quite a bit in value.

You could have no equity in a house worth £2m:rotfl::rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Neither A, B so not C either
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Interesting question. We are just recently retired. Our current house is worth around 300k, our pension between us is 550k but... yesterday our house that we sold for 76k approximately 22 years ago went on the market for 500k. So a bit gutted. We moved half an hour up the M1, 17 years ago and then another half an hour up the M1 for my job 5 years ago for a same price property. I wish we had stayed where we were back then...
  • Hi Wyspecial. I meant more than the value of your (main) home, not the equity, however I see why you asked the question.
  • But... I am not complaining. I feel very fortunate...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure