Accept Plevin, or pursue PPI??

Hi, I've had several RBS PPI claims and a Santander PPI claim successfully paid out recently (totallying £6.5k), leaving one RBS credit card claim outstanding. The PPI payments on the credit card totalled about £1.5k and RBS rejected my claim and instead offered a Plevin payment of £1.5k, I appealed, provided more information and yet again they have rejected the claim, but again offered the Plevin payment of £1.5k

My question is... should I accept the Plevin payment or try the Financial Ombudsman route? If I try the FA route and it is again rejected, will I still be able to claim the Pevin payment?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can accept Plevin and go to FOS - you just get the Plevin payout removed from your total if they agree the full refund
  • I have had a mortgage PPI rejected by Santander but offered Plevin. My employer would have paid me 6 month full pay and 6 month half pay so the PPI would not have paid out. The company I work for would also have to go into a consultation period if redundancies were to be made. They have only given me 28 days to accept this offer.
    Question: If I contact the Financial Ombudsman and this takes me beyond the 28 days what will happen, will I not be able to claim the Plevin if the Financial Ombudsman also agrees the PPl was mis-sold?

Thanks in advance but time is running out
  • Your Plevin refund will not be affected by an Ombudsman referral. If the Ombudsman rules in your favour (unlikely given your complaint "reasons") you'll receive a full refund of your PPI plus interest. If the Ombudsman sides with the Bank, you'll still be entitled to your Plevin refund.

Note that Mortgage PPI pays out in addition to any sickness pay you might receive and no redundancy package is guaranteed. Your rejection seems justified I'm afraid.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Plevin is a given you will still receive this - however FOS will not uphold your complaint on the basis of what you have said I’m afraid so would be pointless wasting another six months of your life trying.

Mortgage PPI would’ve paid out longer than your sick pay and I’m addition to it and no one much cares about redundancy from work.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My employer would have paid me 6 month full pay and 6 month half pay so the PPI would not have paid out.

That is incorrect. MPPI pays out in addition to sick pay benefits. The FOS is routinely rejecting 12 months sick pay with MPPI complaints.
    The company I work for would also have to go into a consultation period if redundancies were to be made.

Also not correct. If the company was insolvent then any package goes out of the window.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Update - didn't have to worry about the 28 days to accept the offer, they just put the money in my bank account that they had offered for Plevin. Would have nice to have had the option or notification of this.
  • They probably don't expect many people to reject the money.
  • Would have nice to have had the option or notification of this.
    You can still go to the Ombudsman and, in the unlikely event your rejection is overturned, your redress would have the money you've already received deducted from it. So you do technically still have the option and you will receive written notification.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure