PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I now have for the chazzer:

A black skirt, a cat ornament, a grey jumper, a purple cardigan, a scarf and two pairs of joggers. I've hardly worn the joggers.

I had forgotten it was Good Friday tomorrow, oh well, I will be taking the stuff next week instead!:D

I have added a glass jug (I thought I had got rid of that already!) and two little pictures to the charity shop bag.
  • firebubble
    firebubble Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you're holding onto stuff for a big one-day cash in, you might want to check the value now, because it may not be worth giving house room to bulky items which are worth less than buttons.

I recently read an article somewhere about how the price of Elvis memorabilia (in the collection sense, rather than accumulation - thanks for the definition GQ!)) has recently dropped, after being seen as a good investment for a long time. The reason given in the article? The big collectors of Elvis stuff are reaching the age where they are dying off, and so their vast collections are suddenly flooding a market where there is just not the appetite that there was to invest, even the really top notch stuff like his costumes.

So it shows that even something valuable today may not be valuable in twenty, thirty, forty years in the future, if future generations don't have the same view, so no point keeping it even if it is valuable if you no longer love it!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    firebubble wrote: »
    I recently read an article somewhere about how the price of Elvis memorabilia (in the collection sense, rather than accumulation - thanks for the definition GQ!)) has recently dropped, after being seen as a good investment for a long time. The reason given in the article? The big collectors of Elvis stuff are reaching the age where they are dying off, and so their vast collections are suddenly flooding a market where there is just not the appetite that there was to invest, even the really top notch stuff like his costumes.

So it shows that even something valuable today may not be valuable in twenty, thirty, forty years in the future, if future generations don't have the same view, so no point keeping it even if it is valuable if you no longer love it!

There are also 'fashions' in antiques and collectables, as with much else. For example, things like copper and brassware, figurines, Victorian vases, 'brown' mahogany furniture are currently not in style. So if, like me, you love old, well made furniture, don't pass up the current opportunity to buy it for Ikea type prices, because it won't be this price forever!

I must confess I prefer to pass on the copper coal scuttles, florid vases and figurines though :rotfl:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've just sorted a small pile of books out for Z1ffit - only £6 something, but it keeps the stuff moving out. Z1ffit rejected some books which I'd put to one side for them and I've had to talk myself out of putting them back on the bookshelves - if I was prepared to let them go to Z1ffit for pence, why am I not sending them to the CS?? - so they are now in a bag ready for CS next week (will hopefully add to the bag over the weekend with other items) (I put one back on the shelves, as I really dithered about putting it to Z1ffit anyway)

The plan this Easter break (not just the long weekend) is to go through DS2 and DS3's rooms with them. We are starting today with DS3's room and his clothes (an easy start). I'm also looking to get all my flebay items listed (hopefully the boys will release some of their toys for flebaying/ selling at NNS too - the fact they get the money can usually help to sway the decision)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The photo album that should have gone to my sister a fortnight ago has finally gone. I managed to send a whole tin box of other photos too, plus a research piece on family history written by someone else who acknowledged my research. I'm just starting to see the end of the tunnel of this latest set of stuff, though there's a lot else still to do.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Some gratifying, if small, results this last couple of days.
    Firstly, resisted 2 lovely scarves at CS. I have enough, I struggle to wear them well and the punnet the current ones are in is full ! So no more.
    Also resisted a pretty vase. I have enough vases (4).
    I tidied our household docs file this morning, removing older stuff as I placed the latest invoices and statements in there.
    I deleted emails and txt messages.
    I cherry-picked some glass jars for preserves, offered the rest to a friend (she only wants the Bon Maman ones!) and put the rest in the recycling. Seems that everyone round here has there own stash 'cos no other takers came forward.
    My very-joy-sparking new door curatin needed a slight adjustment so I sorted that out.
    Did a quick stocktake of the ambient store cupboard (in the multipurpose room:D) and removed teabags to kitchen for immediate use :)
    Am about to do the joy test on some winter woolies that i realise were not bought into play this season. My hunch is that if they weren't used during the coldest winter in 5 years, they can be released to free up much needed space :D
    I have a couple of other kondo projects lined up for the weekend so shall report back in due course.

Enjoy the weekend Everyone!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had an hourlong meeting with my new boss yesterday (finally! First one since she started in November), which was supposed to be about last years accomplishments and this years objectives, but only was about our communication. We agreed on certain things and worked out a way forward, and all seemed good. Then, this morning, she did two things she had promised to stop doing to let me be in charge (as I always had been until she barged in). This job is not sparking joy anymore :o

Now I need to make some tough decisions... there are plenty new jobs out there and I have good qualifications and experience. On the other hand: the company is likely to move abroad end of 2019, and they will have to lay me off and pay me out (about 1 annual salary!). Do I stick it out that long? Do I want to have a new similar job? Do I want to go back to school? I have parental leave 1 day/wk now, and if I change company, I will have to be there for a year before I qualify again. We want to move to a more conveniently laid-out house and I need to be employed for the new mortgage.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 March 2018 at 8:05AM
    Siebrie , you seem to have answered our own question. If you stay with that employer for just another 1.75 years you will probably get 2.75 years' of pay! You still work a 4 day week rather 5 and any mortgage application will be supported by your current employment.
    I had to go through a similar thought process 6 years ago when my DH left regular employment to set up his own business. I had a reasonably paid job that I had come to hate. There were job cuts being made so I asked for redundancy but they would not let me go. I was allowed to cut my hours, thus saving my employer money. I received some money to compensate me for that.
    It meant that we still had one regular income and my stress was reduced (fewer commutes, less time in the office).
    I bided my time.
    Three years later my DH had established his business, I had used my extra days off to start my own small business and the chance of redundancy came up again, as i knew it would. I finished the job 4 years after DH made his leap to self employment.

So in my case it was worth sticking it out for another 4 years (on my terms!).

You can smile sweetly and let the 'new' boss have her won way because you have a cunning plan that will take less than 1.75 years to come to fruition :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Siebrie - I also second MMF's reasoning. My company were restructuring and I asked for voluntary redundancy as I was coming up to 60 and could retire anyway ( without a package) I was asked to stay on 'for business needs' which ended up being about 18 months. A win win for me as the extra service meant extra redundancy money. Sometimes you need to work the system for yourself!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    According to the system I would be working another 21 years :( My mind is now playing with 50% parental leave for as long as possible, and get my employer to hire a fulltime assistant. It might be mutually beneficial.

To cheer myself up, I have bought a mini kiwi plant and 8 pots of mangetout seedlings :D Total spend about £9. The kiwi plant is planted and will grow over the swing set; 6 of the pots of mangetout seedlings are planted, 1 will go to our neighbours with small children and the other will go to my parents when we drop of dds there tomorrow.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure