PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That would be horrendous, of course. But if the air was hot enough to melt plastic on our faces, the area could well be too hot to get through. Or if somebody forced themselves to run through in any case, they'd have plastic burned onto their skin :( but their eyesight may still be saved :(

God, isn't it horrible to think about it? And we still don't know how many died in that inferno? The live update thread at the Guardian is saying the structure is unsafe.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :( I'm not sure if the pattern of a fire would enable it to leap from tower to tower, in such a situation?

By "fairly close", I'm talking a couple of hundred feet or so.

IIRC, you live in a tower block yourself.

Have you considered getting yourself a Last Resort Parachute?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Given that GQ has frequently mentioned that her flat is at risk of flooding, I think she'll be OK without a parachute...
  • Last resort snorkel and flippers? and a towel!!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :pBB, I am in a groundfloor flat, the drop from the (openable) part of my windows to the wee patch of grass outside is - pauses to check with tape measure - 48 inches. Or level with the middle of my rib-cage. I think I can safely drop that distance.

Re goggles as eye-protection, if it's hot enough to melt them on your face, your face will also be melting. :( There is an updated (as in updated post-Grenfell) article on the happypreppers website about this very issue. One of the takeaways is a pure woollen blanket per household member as a cloak to shelter you as you escape from a burning building but it mustn't be wetted as the wetness will increase conductivity of heat.

:o I'm sure I'm not unique in confirming this IRL by using her own oven-gloves before they were fully dried after laundering. Oww! :o

The fire brigade have told the council here to ban external doormats outside the doors of flats, much to the disgust of many tenants, and with much complaining and failures in compliance. The reason is that the fire brigade know what happens in fires - the mats melt and adhere to the feet of running residents as they evacuate. Obvs, a pure coir mat (coconut fibre) would smoulder not melt, but a lot of coirs have some element of rubber in them today, from personal experience.

I have some hopes that compliance may be better as tower dwellers (and flat dwellers in general) are scared s**tless about what they've seen. We have no cladded tower blocks here, thank gawd.

I have been hunting for my light-weight BOB-footwear-to-be at a TK Maxximoose and have found several contenders by big name sporting goods manufacturers. Unfortunately, as is often the case with this store, they didn't sell at full retail for a good reason; disgusting lurid colours. I will continue to haunt the premises and hope for something of a more restrained hue which also meets my criteria; very light weight, small pack-size, laces and could (in a pinch) be acceptable at my very low-key workplace environment.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think I'd be worrying about the colour of the shoes in my bug out bag GQ. If you'd just been burnt out of your flat, I think your colleagues would forgive clashing colours. :)
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.peacocks.co.uk/146469.html

Not Maximus, not lace up, but these are my choice of 'grab & go'.

Discrete enough for work wear in emergency, good in the wet & more comfortable than they look: I have no problem driving in them. (Unfortunately I paid full price pre sale - all of £5)
  • GreyQueen
    jk0 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be worrying about the colour of the shoes in my bug out bag GQ. If you'd just been burnt out of your flat, I think your colleagues would forgive clashing colours. :)
    :) I play the long game, these shoes will be in the BOB but will rotate out of the BOB to be used in everyday life before they die of natural causes, so not wanting electic peach (bleugh!), shocking pink, scarlet or bright blue is a factor in my decision-making.:rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I dono, they might be just the thing. In thick smoke or darkness we could all just follow Greyqueen's feet :D
  • GreyQueen
    mardatha wrote: »
    I dono, they might be just the thing. In thick smoke or darkness we could all just follow Greyqueen's feet :D
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'll go for the fluro green ones with LED lights in the heels in that case, hey? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills