Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I'm on holiday. :D

Not that I want to rub it in for you guys who are continuing with the daily grind.
    But.
    I'm on holiday. :D

So, which language will you not be a turtle in this time? :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nowhere that exciting - just a caravan near a beach. Glad of the break though, I'm ready for it this time.
    When I swapped jobs my holiday entitlement decreased fairly significantly and I'm noticing the difference.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Nowhere that exciting - just a caravan near a beach. Glad of the break though, I'm ready for it this time.
    When I swapped jobs my holiday entitlement decreased fairly significantly and I'm noticing the difference.

Hope the weather's ok, then. Pretty torrential at the moment. Still, saves watering the pots.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Pyxis
    edited 10 September 2016 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Reported as spam.

Edit.....spam thing has been deleted, just in case you thought I was reporting my own post as spam! Hahahahahahaha!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Hi everyone! Some of you amy know, I was adopted as a baby and several years ago found my birth mum and aunt and now have a good relationship with my mother (my aunt died two years ago, RIP Aunty V).

I've realised there is not much chance of ever finding out who my birth father was/is; his name is not on my birth certificate and all my mother will say is 'he was no good'. I don't want to force her to relive what was obviously a very bad time for her.

So...I have ordered a DNA test kit from Ancestry.co.uk. This will not tell me who my father is (unless I am extremely fortunate!), but it will tell me my roots, heritage, and genetic makeup and maybe even find someone else with similar DNA, which may be a way to finding other things out. At least I will know a little bit about my father's side.

Also on the subject of family, my husband knows very little about his family, especially his father's side. His father died in 1978, they were estranged due to my husband's mother and she would never talk about him.

Anyway, he has gone onto a site called Missing You (this is the site through which I found my birth family), put in the few bits of information he had, and discovered that his father was the eldest of nine! . So he had six aunts and two uncles he knew nothing about. This means he almost certainly has numerous cousins on his fathers' side. Got to do some serious donkey work now tracing them. Wish us luck!!

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Wish us well in our endeavours!

Just to update this, for those interested, here are my DNA results:

Europe 100%

Great Britain 49%
    Europe West 22%
    Scandinavia 12%

Italy/Greece 5%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 4%
    Iberian Peninsula 4%
    Ireland 3%
    Europe East < 1%

So I know now that my birth father was not of African or Asian descent. I am totally European and have more southern European blood than Irish.

Ancestry DNA also sent some links to people who may be my fourth cousins, but imho that is too distant to chase up.

Also in my husband's search, he now has contact with a first cousin once removed, who co-incidentally, lives near my birth mother :) He now also knows that he is NOT the only member of his family with thick auburn curly hair! The photo she sent of her late father in the 1970s, he could have been my husband's brother rather than his cousin.

Very interesting for us both.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Pyxis
    Options
    That's very interesting, 7DW!

Do they give you the trace right back to the generic "Eve" as well? You know, the one from whom we are all descended.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    In think it said in the info I read that it goes back about 6000 years.x
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that SDW, I find stuff like that very interesting, and I'll be able to tell my Aunty more about it, as she was asking me to price them up the other week.

The weather today is a perfect day for cycling (sun, no wind etc), unlike yesterday when I came home resembling a drowned rat! It was so heavy at one point that I couldn't see a damn thing through my glasses and the water was dripping in my eyes and stinging so bad.

Apparently, next week is going to be really warm again, but after them saying that about this week (even in our area), and it was the total opposite, I'm never believing a weather person again! :mad:
  • Georgiegirl256
    Options
    So astigmatism isn't being boss eyed then? I apparently have a slight squint which only shows up when I'm tired.

Same here.

Thanks for posting that info Pyxis, very interesting. I thought it was something to do with the different shape cornea, but thought it might have been caused by lazy eye muscles.

Have a nice holiday elsien :)
  • Pyxis
    edited 10 September 2016 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Same here.

Thanks for posting that info Pyxis, very interesting. I thought it was something to do with the different shape cornea, but thought it might have been caused by lazy eye muscles.

Have a nice holiday elsien :)

Well, there is more than one type, so that might be involved in another type. I'll have a look..........

Edit.......no. No mention of the lens muscles being involved.

As far as I can tell, it's presbyopia that can involve the muscles that attach to the lens, as well as the lens itself.
    However, feel free to correct me, any ophthalmologists out there! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure