247 Home Rescue Contract Complaint

Comments

• Shazbash
    Shazbash Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2018 at 9:31AM
    Won't let me cancel my contract on a supposed monthly rolling contract which changes to an annual contract AUTOMATICALLY if you make a claim (apparently it tells you this on page 7 of the terms and conditions in the small print ), they want £300+ to cancel my contract which has only 5 months left on it when I'm paying £25 a month (How does that add up?). {text removed by MSE Forum Team} They always take 4-5 days to come out even if you have young children. I wouldn't ever use them again!!! Go with a more expensive company who are reliable {text removed by MSE Forum Team}, there is a reason they are cheap! ( I don't trust the 5 star reviews on here.)
  • 247 Home Rescue reviewed by Ianfs

Ianfs
    2 Reviews

Published 28 minutes ago
    Plumbing cover not worth the paper it's written on

I had a flood in my kitchen from a leak from the sink tap. Called 247 Home Rescue after turning off the stopcock. They took a £75 "security deposit" in case my emergency was not covered by my service contract before sending a plumber who said the problem was a burst flexible connector between the cold water feed pipe and the tap. He needed authorisation from 247 before he could proceed with the repair. The next day, spoke to 247 (after long wait on their emergency line) and was told that they don't pay for repairs to flexible tap connectors and if I wanted the repair completed I would have to pay a further £118.61, making a total of £193.61. Obviously, needing the repair, which I couldn't do myself, to be completed and having already spent £75, I had little choice but to make this payment. The plumber - with whom I have no argument - then did the job quickly and efficiently.

I asked 247 to show me where in their Terms & Conditions it says that they won't pay for a plumbing emergency repair like this. Their Customer Service Manager, Kevin Anderson, said that cover only extends to stopping the source of a leak and making a temporary repair. In other words, if I had not turned off the stopcock and allowed the leak to continue, I would have been covered - as would the rest of my house - in water! But they still would not have paid for the burst pipe connector to be repaired.

On 247's website, it says: "You already have enough bills to pay without having to fork out hefty costs for emergency repairs...we don't charge for call outs, we don't charge for labour, we don't charge for parts, no hidden excess & charges." In my case, none of these claims were true.

I don't know what 247's boiler service is like, but from my experience, I would advise anyone to steer clear of their plumbing cover - it will be cheaper to call an emergency plumber.
  • katek87
    katek87 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2018 at 9:29AM
    Well where do i start.... i signed up for home appliance cover back in Jan 16, it would cost me £14 a month to cover 4 appliances...not bad i thought.

Problem 1 - So the first issue was my dishwasher. It broke. I called the claims line, went straight to voicemail and left a message, called later in the day, again, same problem, called next day, same problem. called 3 days later, same problem, used the online chat , no answer. Went on the website and called a different number spoke to a representative and they asked me when it broke, i said about 4 days ago and they said its not covered as i hadn't informed them within 24 hours, so after explaining that i had left several messages and also sent an email to try and tell them they asked why i had been calling the claims number when i should have been calling the direct number......erm because your website says to make a claim call this number.....After a number of calls to them i finally managing to speak to someone in authority they decided to allow me to make a claim, dishwasher fixed.

Problem 2 - This week my washing machine wouldn't turn on so i called the direct number this time and spoke to a so called representative who advised me to check the fuse in the plug (which seems obvious to do 1st, but knowing what this company is like i thought id better check this was allowed) anyway it wasn't the plug and in fact i managed to turn it and a fault code came up on the dash. So called back and after being on hold for 30 mins trying to get through i spoke to someone else, they then asked me when did it break so i said today (which it did) and her reply was "why did you tell my colleague earlier that it happened last week?" !!!!!! no i didn't, it happened today, trust me i have 3 kids, i cannot go without a washing machine for more than a day let alone a week, arrghhhh! So after 10 minutes of me saying i didn't say that they agreed to put through the claim.

Problem 3, today i had a call from a girl saying that they couldn't process the washing machine claim because i have only been paying £4 a month and i owed them £200...WHAT....! They told me i had prove i have been paying £14 since January, so when i logged into my bank account i discovered that i had in fact actually been paying £24 a month (should only be £14) so i called them to be told that i had in fact signed up for a 6 month promotional offer and that fees would go up after this, there was nothing in my contract that says this, my DD form says £14 a month so i asked to speak to a manager and guess what.....no managers to speak to me. 5 minutes later i then get a call back from the girl who claimed i had only paid £4 a month saying it was a mistake (im thinking what if i was a vulnerable person and just paid up the money - its probably one of their tricks!) Anyway i told the girl all about my latest conversation and the whole 6 month promotion thing, she then told me that in fact i was not on a 6 month offer and that they wrote to me in May to say that my DD was going up to £24 a month because my premium is too cheap, she told me that it should never have been sold at this price and there's nothing i can do about it and guess what....they are not underwritten by Financial Conduct Authority. so there's nothing i can do.

I am extremely frustrated with this company, my claim is going through for the washing machine so i cant even cancel, plus from reading other threads it looks like i will have to pay a fortune to cancel the contract. My advice - this company is a joke, the staff have no idea what they are doing, they will do anything to not put a claim through {text removed by MSE Forum Team} Stay well away.
  • Bill88997
    Bill88997 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2018 at 9:27AM
    Hi Guys,
    A very long and bitter story but please never get involved with this {text removed by MSE Forum Team}
    I joined, paid up front fee of £70 after 3 weeks they advised that they were unilaterally cancelling my policy??? I made no claim but did ask for my "free"CP12?
    In their small print they say they can do this at anytime at their "soul" discretion! No refund?
    They are NOT registered with the FCA so no come back there.
    I very much doubt I shall ever see my cash returned but have cancelled my direct debit.
    Every single review site posts identical stories....including their own!
    I wish I knew where to turn...possibly a class action by the hundreds of customers {text removed by MSE Forum Team}
    I am sure they will disappear very soon so please save your cash ........
  • MissMilz
    MissMilz Posts: 10 Forumite
    247 home rescue!!! Worst company I have ever come across, I would strongly advise everyone and anyone to never ever get a contract with this pathetic excuse of a company. I cancelled within 14 days and am waiting for a refund. How are they allowed to advertise the so called services they provide!!
  • baobab22
    baobab22 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2018 at 9:28AM
    Is there a limit for any {text removed by MSE Forum Team} provider to reach before any action is taken by the authorities? I have a 247 rescue!! Guess what? Sink flooded today and hit the downstairs apartment. even though I stressed the urgency of a callout I was told because I failed to call in the 24 hours window it will have to cost me another £70?. I am dumbfounded on hearing this. I will have to ask for a refund. The challenge is I may have to seek legal advice in case they refused to. Home Rescue is a disgrace! Those responsible please act now! we've had enough of this {text removed by MSE Forum Team}.
  • stayaway247
    stayaway247 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 August 2017 at 7:13PM
    This call to 24/7 Home Rescue really upset me, I found it unhelpful and patronising, so much so that I am trying to cancel my membership to 247 just because of this incident.

After having this contract for almost a year I contacted 247 for annual service. On querying details with them after the engineers visit they responded by being rude, abusive, vague, aggressive and talked over me. When I did ask very simple questions I was told they do not like the tone and hung up on me.

Tried to cancel contract but was told they would have debt collection onto me as I have to stay for a full year as their engineer did visit for a service and gas safety check and CP12.(all in one go near the end of 12 months).
    He did not spend more than 30 mins on premises and replaced no parts.

As tenants had gone before the engineer arrived the CP12 and safety check was no longer necessary He told me that there were no issues with the boiler and that it was working fine and safe and should need no attention for another year.. I then told him about a minor fault that to my mind would be part of a normal service and he noted it in his report. I was then told by 247 that it was remedial work despite the boiler operating normally for almost a year and no visits from them. Finally, they will not provide any repairs unless you pay for this so called remedial work separately (this is to prevent any breakdowns) and if you don't will not cover you for any faults .No point in having their cover if it is not going to breakdown anyway.

I was asking what I thought to be quite reasonable questions but was met with a very vague answers and aggressive nature and then the woman just hung up on me, despite my request to speak to a manager. I have to agree with everything I have read in these posts so far. They will do whatever they can to turn any claim down and say that it is your responsibility.
  • Georgewood2009
    Georgewood2009 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2018 at 9:22AM
    Signed up 3 months ago to 24/7 home rescue as I got a better deal with this company through uswitch. I rang them to book an engineer to. One out as my shower goes cold every 3 minutes for about 1 minute. I managed to get through to them after being on hold for over 45 minutes, when I finally got to talk to them I was talking to an Asian man I was struggling to understand. He told me to turn my boiler off and on and go and try the shower, which I did while he waited on phone. This didn't work and the shower went freezing cold after 3 minutes. I says I would like a engineer to visit and have alook and then he says unfortunately your not covered for this fault, I says what am I Paying for then. He says it's not down to me but the computer has diclined you do your not covered. What a joke of a company, {text removed by MSE Forum Team}. I've cancelled my direct debit straight away and I'm contacting uswitch about this {text removed by MSE Forum Team}. It's got me fuming.
  • HazelAlicia
    HazelAlicia Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2018 at 9:32AM
    This is one of those companies that commences work on your boiler and then finds a whole lot of additional costly remedial action, telling you that you're in danger if you continue to use the boiler without the repairs. They demanded £200 to replace a £45 part that didnt even need replacing (according to the engineer I later called in). If you challenge them or try to cancel your contract they get really nasty. Two reps refused to even cancel my contract, and one mocked me and implied I was mentally unstable when I got annoyed with him about how I had paid £70 for a service they refused to carry out, citing remedial action as the reason they couldn't complete. Beware the terms and conditions {text removed by MSE Forum Team}... you will lose money
  • The nature of my dispute with 24/7 Home Rescue focusses on an excess charged by the company and what the payment of £95 covered. In the company's own terms and conditions, it was for the engineer to come out and “where possible repair the system on site”.

The engineer who came out to do the repair was in fact the same man who had been sent out by 24/7 Home Rescue a couple of weeks earlier, and during that visit, I had been forced to make a formal complaint to the company about his attitude, integrity and standard of work. This complaint had been upheld by the company who later phoned me to let me know he had been disciplined.

This was the same engineer who was now making the report that claimed that the boiler required several parts not least a new pump which therefore made it "economically unviable to repair". 24/7 Home Rescue offered, for a substantial fee, to replace these parts via manufacturer parts, but when I declined, cancelled my policy on the spot.

I then called out my own engineer for a cost of £75 who was able to get the system working in fifteen minutes and clearly the system did not need all the parts the 24/7 Home Rescue engineer claimed it needed. This is the point of my dispute.

Having described the age of the boiler to the company when I first took out the policy I don’t hesitate in saying I feel hoodwinked by this company who sold a policy not fit for purpose. The company identify the minimum of £75 excess for an older boiler which I accept and talks about the 60% value of the manufacturer as being a benchmark for whether it is economically viable to repair or not. What was not as clear was the annual devaluation of the system year in year out which was only identified to me by one of their staff during the dispute. Based upon this maths, the value after such a time would be so little as to not be worth anything; the company have been taking out £8 a month off me regularly for "Landlord Cover" for what amounts to be “fresh air”. When you then consider an engineer is then paid £95 to come out and do a job, chooses not to do it and comes up with a “!!!!!! and bull” story which was shown to be inaccurate by an independent engineer I feel there is a case for reclaiming the direct payments as well as the excess. The company have an open contract that never renews or finishes and potentially will continue until a customer actually needs them. They seem to be taking small amounts of money off numerous customers and possibly doing this under the radar.
    I shared this story with Trustpilot and gave the company one star.only to find out 24/7 had blocked my review as "they did not feel that it was from a genuine customer" I gave the site evidence of my contract with 24/7 and it was reinstated.

I really feel angry that companies are getting away with such questionable ways of making money and want to bring it to your attention
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback