Anyone got Dimplex Duoheat?

Options
jk0
jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Recently one of my rentals came vacant after a 9 year tenancy. This is a modern two bedroom flat built in 2002. It has a 3kw hot water element, a Duoheat 500i in the lounge, 300i in the hall and direct heaters in the two bedrooms. It has a gas hob & electric oven.

I was curious about the consumption of this flat, and am surprised at the readings. Day rate averages 4881 units per year and night rate averages 3828 units. This seems very low considering the number of night rate items, and I wonder if the heat storage needs increasing. The only other option is that the meter has gone past zero again, but this puts the night consumption at nearly 15000 units per year, which is about 50% more than my 3 bedroom house.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Te duoheat combines a storage heater and a convector heater. As far as I can tell it focuses too much on comfort and not enough on economy, and uses the peak rate convector heater more than you might like.

They are also expensive to repair when they go wrong. I would not choose one.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have always thought that a 'normal' storage heater and a £10 fan heater would be a much cheaper option to purchase; especially as second hand storage heaters are almost given away on Ebay.
  • jk0
    Options
    Still scratching my head with these heaters...

I wondered if the room temparature sensing bulb on the bottom of the heater was too close to it, and preventing accurate sensing. Therefore, I removed the 'bulbs' from their housing and just left them loose a couple of inches below the heaters.

I have a home energy monitor connected to show how much is stored every night. It still seems to be 18 units per night whatever the weather.

Surely it's meant to go up & down accordingly, isn't it? Otherwise the heaters are no better than an old manual combi Dimplex.

Any thoughts?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »

I have a home energy monitor connected to show how much is stored every night. It still seems to be 18 units per night whatever the weather.

Surely it's meant to go up & down accordingly, isn't it? Otherwise the heaters are no better than an old manual combi Dimplex.

Any thoughts?

How would it monitor outside temperature?
  • jk0
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    How would it monitor outside temperature?

I believe that the unheated indoor temperature is reckoned to be a good analogue of the temperature outside. My old storage heaters here at home manage okay.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    You can buy RXPW4 and RXMBS4 and a central receiver to use Duo's as a 'zone' heating system.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maybe the tenants couldn't afford to use the heaters too much
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    - only one duo and rent for profit
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure