how long do you have to report change of circs under UC

Options
2»

Comments

• konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Just tell them before they find out for themselves.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could have informed them via your online journal in the time it took to post on here.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    You could have informed them via your online journal in the time it took to post on here.

They won’t read it for days but there will be a date and time stamp on it that they cannot refute.

I’ve just found out I can’t report a change that’s going to happen though. That’s a little annoying. I get antsy if I don’t report things to employer/benefits within seconds of knowing.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    I’ve just found out I can’t report a change that’s going to happen though. That’s a little annoying. I get antsy if I don’t report things to employer/benefits within seconds of knowing.
    I'm a bit like you, I like to be able to point to a date and time and say well, you officially knew you from then.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I'm a bit like you, I like to be able to point to a date and time and say well, you officially knew you from then.

Changes are not accepted in advance because things might change between the date it's reported and date it is due to take effect. For example, a house move might be planned but then either delayed or cancelled. There is a risk then of personal information being sent to the wrong address - not a good idea.
  • sportsarb
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Changes are not accepted in advance because things might change between the date it's reported and date it is due to take effect. For example, a house move might be planned but then either delayed or cancelled. There is a risk then of personal information being sent to the wrong address - not a good idea.

Just because it doesn’t make sense to report one kind of change of circumstance in advance doesn’t mean that applies across the board.

And, you can apply for most benefits in advance any way, if something changes before then, well, you report it.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    Just because it doesn’t make sense to report one kind of change of circumstance in advance doesn’t mean that applies across the board.

And, you can apply for most benefits in advance any way, if something changes before then, well, you report it.

Of course it does, what if the change never actually happens and how do you expect anybody to be able to action it correctly and in a timely manner if they are told 4 weeks etc in advance of said change?

The systems are not set up for it to work like that.
  • sportsarb
    Options
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    Of course it does, what if the change never actually happens and how do you expect anybody to be able to action it correctly and in a timely manner if they are told 4 weeks etc in advance of said change?

The systems are not set up for it to work like that.

Legacy systems are set up to handle changes a certain amount of time in advance. Like I already said, advance claims be accepted, and you can make changes to the system in advance of a change of circumstance. Depending on what it is and when it’s due to occur.

The fact you ask, in an incredulous manner, how anyone is supposed to action a change correctly when given a lead time of 4 weeks just shows how messed up and inefficient the system is and how accepting of it people have become.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure