TUPE or not TUPE

Looking for advice please...
Background:
I worked for a firm for 8 years, until I was TUPE’d over to an outsourcing company who still provided a service to the firm for the past 2 years. The firm have just undergone a prepack administration and merged to form new firm. The outsource company have been told that the service is no longer required but have been asked to provide an ad hoc service for an unknown period of time without a contract but that they will be paid by the new firm.
Situation:
I have been informed from the outsourcing company, that as soon as the ad hoc service ceases that my employment with the outsourcing company will cease to exist and that I should be TUPE’d over to the new firm. HOWEVER, the outsourcing company have admitted that the new firm do not believe a TUPE situation exists (and basically don’t want us either) but they are in talks and hope to resolve but that I should seek legal advice should they not reach agreement.
Question:
Who is LEGALLY responsible for making me redundant??

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,760 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2019 at 9:13PM
    MrsTiffa wrote: »
    Question:

I'm not an expert, but I would say your current employer (the outsourcing company) unless it is agreed that a TUPE situation exists (in which case you transfer over and then get made redundant if not required). Personally I can't see that TUPE is applciable, but as I said I'm not an expert.

And if I were in your shoes, I'd be saying that that is a question for the two companies to be seeking legal advice on - they shouldn't be putting the onus on individual employees to get an answer.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MrsTiffa wrote: »
    Looking for advice please...
    Background:
    I worked for a firm for 8 years, until I was TUPE’d over to an outsourcing company who still provided a service to the firm for the past 2 years. The firm have just undergone a prepack administration and merged to form new firm. The outsource company have been told that the service is no longer required but have been asked to provide an ad hoc service for an unknown period of time without a contract but that they will be paid by the new firm.
    Situation:
    I have been informed from the outsourcing company, that as soon as the ad hoc service ceases that my employment with the outsourcing company will cease to exist and that I should be TUPE’d over to the new firm. HOWEVER, the outsourcing company have admitted that the new firm do not believe a TUPE situation exists (and basically don’t want us either) but they are in talks and hope to resolve but that I should seek legal advice should they not reach agreement.
    Question:

Follow the advice you’ve been given and go see a lawyer. Your union should have a legal advice service, if you’re not in a union, use the saved fees to pay for advice. Strangers on the internet haven’t access to all the relevant information and can’t safely help you.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I too am in a situation where my organisation will merge and I've been told I'd either be seconded or tupe'd. I saw my union about this last month.

I can not remember (or find, I did have a look at my notes from the union meeting) the exact advice I was given by union but they did warn that when someone tupe's over, the new company can then do a re-structure which may in turn make you lose any benefits that you have carried over. They have seen this happen before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure