with brexit looming fixed rate 2 yr 5 yr or 10 yr deal

Hi Ive a feeling interest rates are about to rocket ,employment up wages up ....
so are u all sticking with variable or fixing your mortgages been offered 3.4 % for 5 years or 2.4% for 2 years .
advice please x:)
So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have a feeling that interest rates will go up, but only small amounts - if they "rocket" then the majority of the country will fold.

Fix your mortgage for as long as you can if its worth it for you or if you want the certainty.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    elly68 wrote: »
    employment up wages up ....
    Sunny uplands for you then?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Sunny uplands for you then?
    I meant the economic line we are being fed by the news lol
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
  • I believe they will go up slowly however I have just gone for a 5 year fix, 1.99% £500 setup fee at metro bank. I like the security of a 5 year fix and it suits my situation at the moment.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Why such high rates and 23k of other debt?
  • elly68
    I have a diary if you wish to read ,we have had a significant turn in fortunes in wages hence 0% cards to clear should be debt clear in 3 years which will leave just the mortgage,i have been offered remortgage at increased money but i dont wish this . Thanks for highlighting the higher interest rate looks like its because mortgage is for 780000 over 100000 they are lower and over 200000 lower again.I havent tried elsewhere apart from halifax .
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Interest rates rising is the last last thing the economy needs with Brexit on the horizon.
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    We fixed for 2 years initially, we're now picking 5 years at 2.2% with principality. Might be worth getting a broker to do a whole of market search to see if you can get the mortgage cheaper.. and longer.
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
  • Lotak
    Lotak Posts: 96 Forumite
    I'm in the process of switching to a 5 year fix.
    Even taking an ERC hit to obtain it (although my mortgage isn't so simple, so it makes it worthwhile).

I think a 5 year fix is definitely worth doing. 2 years is not a long time. 10 years may be too long / you may not be willing to pay the additional premium for a 10 year fix.
    Current Debt (excluding mortgage) - £7,020
    Reducing £450/ month.
  • elly68
    Lotak wrote: »
    I'm in the process of switching to a 5 year fix.
    Even taking an ERC hit to obtain it (although my mortgage isn't so simple, so it makes it worthwhile).

I think a 5 year fix is definitely worth doing. 2 years is not a long time. 10 years may be too long / you may not be willing to pay the additional premium for a 10 year fix.
    hi lotak can I ask who with and rate will have a look at others before signing halifax paperwork .:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure