PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help to Buy ISA bonus and lender cashback

Options
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of help and clarification!

We are ready to exchange on the property now, and my solicitor has told me that the Help to Buy ISA bonus and cashback from the Lender with our mortgage (about £750 altogether for both) cannot be used at exchange - only completion - which is fair enough.

However, she is requesting the full balance (£11,023.50) in order to exchange. Is this normal? This includes solicitor fees, mortgage deposit and so on. From what I've read the Help to Buy ISA bonus and cashback can only be used for legal fees, but if these are all paid off surely it will just be dead money?

I've requested we pay £750 less on exchange and the outstanding £750 made up of these two things on completion, but not sure if that can be done?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Help to buy ISA bonus is claimed by your solicitor on your behalf (at least this is what happened to us. You need to get a closing statement from the bank which shows how much you had in the account before you closed it.
    It is correct that the bonus cannot be used at exchange (which is usually 10% unless agreed otherwise), but your solicitor should get your bonus well before the completion date. So when he does the calculations on how much you still owe him, he should take into account the money he received from the government.
  • FTBNow
    FTBNow Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply arciere.

Solicitor has just phoned back, and has now confirmed that the money due on exchange is £750 less - with the £750 being required for completion. Had my heart going for a second though!
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In my experience the money for the exchange comes from your deposit, not the bonus. At the end of the day the seller doesn't care where the money comes from, as long as he gets the 10% deposit. So I am surprised that you got the 'discount' at exchange and not after that.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    So I am surprised that you got the 'discount' at exchange and not after that.

Solicitor needs to ensure that the entire funds are in place to effect completion when exchange is made. As the ISA bonus etc is guaranteed the solicitor doesn't require all the funds to be in hand so to speak.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure