Why has my score reduced

Options

Comments

• sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The balances will normally be the statement balances roundedup to the pound for credit cards. Sometimes it will be the balance taken on the last day or first day of the month.

Who do you have accounts with? I may be able to tell you the pattern.

For example Halifax credit card is the statement date.
    HSBC current account balance is last working day of the month.
    First Direct current account is the last working day of the month balance
    Santander Credit card is the first of the month.
  • delpy1
    delpy1 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    sparkey1 wrote: »
    Well it isn't quite as random as that. However if the OP wanted to get a 3nd snapshot, (or 2nd free snapshot) he could always use the capital one credit wise service.

Still better than £14.95 per month.

Thanks that's another free account opened but who do they get the information from is it Equifax or experian?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think CreditWise is just a CapitalOne tool to sell more of their products
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • delpy1
    delpy1 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    I think CreditWise is just a CapitalOne tool to sell more of their products

Ah OK thanks
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a huge score bashing squad on MSE. Fact of the matter is that the score is reflective of your credit history. Its their own interpretation of your credit history. It is not random, it may not be used by creditors but they will have their own credit 'scores' or risk 'scores'.

This question is how these credit scores from the credit agencies compare with those from creditors. There needs to be a pieces of work done here.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

This question is how these credit scores from the credit agencies compare with those from creditors. There needs to be a pieces of work done here.

The answer to that question is 'very poorly'.

That's not to say that some people might not have scores that reflect their credit history, but the glaring errors and inconsistencies mean that as a whole, they are worthless.
  • gionnetto
    gionnetto Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Ditto on this!

It works like caring about people's opinions. It's generally not a good idea to care about what people think of you unless somebody is checking your references for a job offer :rotfl:

Different CRAs score you differently - even with the same information - because they assign different weights to the same information, pretty much like your job references do.

If the lender you want an account with checks, for example, TransUnion it is because they think (right or not, ligit or not) that TransUnion gives them a better picture of the kind of borrowers they want. And therefore you should care of what's on your TransUnion report as well, if you want that specific account.

If I know my credit file is bigger on one CRA, I'll apply to lenders that check that one primarily (or exclusively). In other words, you don't put your art teacher as a reference for a job that isn't creative. It just makes sense.
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
    :eek:.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CRA scores are to be completely ignored.

People who are bankrupt get a 999 score on Experian - how is that someone who is worthy of lending money/credit to?
  • gionnetto
    gionnetto Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    People who are bankrupt get a 999 score on Experian - how is that someone who is worthy of lending money/credit to?

That is precisely what I was saying.

Assume you got bankrupt 2 years ago and then you have 2 years with no default.
    The sheer facts are:
    1) you messed up big 24 months ago
    AND
    2) you straightened up ever since.

One CRA primarily sees it as "you messed up big", whereas the another sees it as "you straightened up ever since". Same facts, different weights.

Take the Electoral Roll as an example. Experian sees being on the Electoral Roll for 9 months as "you got a stable place", Equifax as "you've just recently gotten stable".

Hence, if a lender checks Experian, it might give you a chance, if it checks Equifax it will not give you a chance (yet).
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
    :eek:.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gionnetto wrote: »

Hence, if a lender checks Experian, it might give you a chance, if it checks Equifax it will not give you a chance (yet).

If they have the same facts, it will make no difference whatsoever.

The opinion of the CRAs is not of any interest to lenders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure