Replacing large old fashioned 6'' x 6'' cooker switches (MK K5011 not suitable)

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Just thought I'd update - the MK K5011 as suggested arrived today, but sadly not suitable. Looks very similiar but they've changed the sizes of the screws that screw into the existing pattress box (too big)

Sadly the screws have some sort of collar on them as otherwise I'd simply re-use the screws from the old unit in the new, but as they have a collar to allow depth to be adjusted back and forward, this isn't the drop in replacement I hoped for.

Going to send it back, and may need to think about something else!
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 2:26PM
    Because the old screws had imperial threads. Easy sported.

Any Electrician can do this for you. Also, if you do this yourself you almost certainly won't tighten the connections correctly.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    M 3.5 screws are standard on all electrical fitting back boxes... Look for < rethreading tool M3.5 > via Google.

Or M3.5 tap (as in tap and die from school metalworking lessons) ;)
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Risteard wrote: »
    Because the old screws had imperial threads. Easy sported.

Any Electrician can do this for you. Also, if you do this yourself you almost certainly won't tighten the connections correctly.
    As can most people who have reasonable DIY skills and the right tools for the job and are you honestly saying that a qualified electrician is needed to ensure that a few screws are tightened correctly?
  • bxboards
    I've sorted it, I took the old brass screws off the old one, had to chisel off the collars fixing the screws in place on the brackets. Had to remove steel screws from new unit, and swap to older brass, then flatten out the collars to fit back on old screws so they stay in place on the brackets!

All sorted and working!

Strange they didn't keep the old screw thread size!
  • Risteard
    bxboards wrote: »
    Strange they didn't keep the old screw thread size!
    It really isn't strange given that I already explained they were imperial threads rather than metric threads.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Risteard
    are you honestly saying that a qualified electrician is needed to ensure that a few screws are tightened correctly?
    I am honestly stating that DIYers never correctly tighten electrical terminals. That is a fact, which often gives rise to the risk of fire.
    ECA Registered Member
  • bxboards
    It really isn't strange given that I already explained they were imperial threads rather than metric threads.

I don't think it makes sense to change screw sizes, as presumably the majority of folks buying this are likely to be replacing older rusted units - I think it would be reasonable to assume those could be imperial.

At the very least I think it would be useful if MK made mention of it - as it happens it was fairly easy to sort with a bit of brute force. Or supply both sets of screws in the box and make it easier to swap out, certainly the screws are not designed to be removed as it stands.
  • Risteard
    bxboards wrote: »
    I don't think it makes sense to change screw sizes, as presumably the majority of folks buying this are likely to be replacing older rusted units - I think it would be reasonable to assume those could be imperial.

At the very least I think it would be useful if MK made mention of it - as it happens it was fairly easy to sort with a bit of brute force. Or supply both sets of screws in the box and make it easier to swap out, certainly the screws are not designed to be removed as it stands.

MK have no choice. Backboxes are required to have metric threads to meet the appropriate British Standard.
    ECA Registered Member
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am honestly stating that DIYers never correctly tighten electrical terminals. That is a fact, which often gives rise to the risk of fire.

The only way that you could possibly know for a fact that DIYers never tighten the screws correctly is if you have examined every single screw tightened by a DIYer.
    Have you done this? or are you just scaremongering again?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure