PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Obligations with former owners mail

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the legal obligation is of a new home owner as regards post addressed to the former owner?

I believe the previous owner of my house had set up a forwarding service which has long expired. I'm now getting a fair bit of mail through - some junk mail and other mail that looks more important like bank stuff.

When I moved in let's just say the former owners weren't my favourite people (boiler broke from the start and various hidden issues - generally not pleasant people). I'd like to know if I'm obliged to do something with the mail or can I shred / bin it? I'm not in the mood for doing them favours if I can help it!

Thanks

Comments

• Yellow78
    Yellow78 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Just scribble out the address and write 'not at this address' on the mail and post it back in the letter box - that's what I always do for the mail that comes to my rental house. It amazes me how many previous tenants still haven't sorted out things like bank statements and NHS records years after leaving...
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    I would just bin it personally. They should have changed their address by now. I suppose the right thing to do is post it back saying not known at this address on the envelope
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No legal obligations, you can just bin it.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Bin it and it will just keep coming. Return it to sender.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What I do is to to scribble "Recipient not at this address, return to sender" and drop it in a mail box. After a while the senders update their records and the mail stops.

If you keep binning it, as some suggested it might go on forever and you are doing you both a disservice.
  • gozaimasu
    gozaimasu Posts: 860 Forumite
    I would also recommend writing the post code of the return address on the front of the mail. Makes it easier for the sorting office to deal with.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sal_III wrote: »
    What I do is to to scribble "Recipient not at this address, return to sender" and drop it in a mail box.
    What a lot of writing! I write "RTS: moved" :)
  • gozaimasu
    gozaimasu Posts: 860 Forumite

Or just print out a sheet of labels with all that writing and stick it over? That's what I did.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 July 2018 at 9:06PM
    Price of b*g r*ll these days, I know of a good use for the mail...
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    "Gone away" has even fewer letters (and what the Royal Mail put on their own label).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure