Working households - Living costs and lifestyles - what is essential?

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I approximate decreasing order of cost:

Broadband
    TV Licence (legal requirement)
    Dentistry
    Water (included in council tax here)
    Prescriptions, Eye Tests (in areas where not free).
    Mobile phone (but it's insignificantly small for me)
    Bus fares (no car)
    Toiletries and cleaning stuff (not required often, but noticeable when they do have to be bought)
    Hair cuts (although I do my own)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you want to split it down to three groups as essential near essential and non essential.
    Not an exhaustive list.

Essential
    Food
    Council tax
    Water
    Electric
    Gas
    Broadband (OR mobile)
    Insurance (although it is possible for single people to have nothing to insure)
    Basic transport (Bus, Bicycle, etc)

Near essential
    Car costs or non basic transport
    TVlicence (not needed if you don't watch live TV or iplayer)
    Cloth's (there are free charity cloth's available or self repair/patch old ones)

Non essential
    Haircuts - I do my own.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • | used to collect paperwork for people entering into Individual Voluntary Agreements and it always surprised me when they listed Sky TV packages as a necessity along with the 60" TV's on the wall :D
  • Hi folks, RR4353 has permission from us to post this.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The biggies are:

Transport to get to/from work, whether that's car ownership or season ticket costs.

Internet connectivity and communications, whether that's broadband or mobile/devices and whatnot.

Just those two can be staggering sums ....

After that it's: Unexpected costs of replacing or fixing household appliances or the structure when it breaks or fails .... just the wind blowing down a stretch of wobbly fence down can rip £400-500 from your pocket. Water leak? Blocked Drains? Tiles off the roof? Bit of loose brickwork? Door needs replacing? Freezer died? Washing machine jammed? Boiler on the blink?

After that .... it's my cigs :)
  • RR4353
    RR4353 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Thank you, I did mean to put water in that initial list, thanks for spotting it wasn't on there
  • RR4353
    RR4353 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 11:56AM
    Thanks for all the comments so far, this is really helpful.
    I think to sum up most agree on the absolute essentials and then there's this idea of 'near essentials' as one person put it - the things that may not be essential to survive but that have pretty much become part of everyday life - would we miss them?...would we miss the costs?

As I thought might be the case, internet and mobiles, laptops, tablets, etc. are important to many and very much a part of daily life - is this for work, keeping connected to friends/family, entertainment - as an alternative to having a TV for example......or a combination/any other reasons?

How do people tend to pay for mobiles, etc. - monthly contracts or outright?......how does this affect your budgets?....what would you be able to do with the money if these items weren't 'near essential'?
  • sparks6
    sparks6 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Travel costs, internet, healthcare costs ( medicine, prescription)
  • Sapphire
    Sapphire Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    RR4353 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments so far, this is really helpful.
    As I thought might be the case, internet and mobiles, laptops, tablets, etc. are important to many and very much a part of daily life - is this for work, keeping connected to friends/family, entertainment - as an alternative to having a TV for example......or a combination/any other reasons?
    How do people tend to pay for mobiles, etc. - monthly contracts or outright?......how does this affect your budgets?
    Thanks again

Presumably this is the next question. My thoughts:

I use a computer for work, so have to have one. I don't use social media at all, apart from on this site, if this is social media, or things like gambling sites, computer games, buying 'stuff' on the Internet, so usage of computer (and mobile) is low, apart from checking facts, sometimes. I try not to buy over the Internet due to concerns about security, tracking, etc.

I rarely use my mobile – its best use is for taking photos and checking the weather, plus the occasional phone call and text. I am thinking about getting rid of it, in fact, especially due to increasing concerns about Internet security, like being tracked and so on. I have a monthly contract, though it is not expensive due to low use. Consequently, it does not affect my budget.

I don't use a computer as an alternative to TV, and have a flat-screen TV that is hidden away when not in use.
  • Essentials - Pet food / insurance

As for how I pay my mobile its Sim only contract
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family