Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Data_Bus
    Data_Bus Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2018 at 8:18PM
    Have you called them on their telephone number ? 0808 164 1088. Monday to Friday, between 0900 - 1700. I was given this number by them. Hope it helps you.

Thanks for the info. I've thought about calling but at the moment I want answers in writing. It's all got ridiculous. Up to now I've managed to establish that the start readings that have been used to open my account are indeed the readings that went through the meter validation company. These readings were used to close my account with my previous supplier and open my Octopus account. Some questions that aren't being answered are. Why has my previous supplier, 9 months later approached Octopus with a proposal for a new start reading for gas? Why have Octopus agreed it? It doesn't seem right to me that both companies having agreed on these readings, should be able to change them 9 months later. This makes a mockery of the whole process. What's to stop them asking to change my electricity readings next. If they can do it with me, then they could do it with everyone. I'm still waiting for a reply to the email I sent this morning.
  • Data_Bus wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I've thought about calling but at the moment I want answers in writing. It's all got ridiculous. Up to now I've managed to establish that the start readings that have been used to open my account are indeed the readings that went through the meter validation company. These readings were used to close my account with my previous supplier and open my Octopus account. Some questions that aren't being answered are. Why has my previous supplier, 9 months later approached Octopus with a proposal for a new start reading for gas? Why have Octopus agreed it? It doesn't seem right to me that both companies having agreed on these readings, should be able to change them 9 months later. This makes a mockery of the whole process. What's to stop them asking to change my electricity readings next. If they can do it with me, then they could do it with everyone. I'm still waiting for a reply to the email I sent this morning.

Your welcome. Wow, I hope you get the answers to your questions. I'd of thought that once the meter readings had been dealt with by both companies at time of switch that'd be the end of it. Certainly isn't right . Good luck.
  • Data_Bus
    edited 31 March 2018 at 7:15AM
    Your welcome. Wow, I hope you get the answers to your questions. I'd of thought that once the meter readings had been dealt with by both companies at time of switch that'd be the end of it. Certainly isn't right . Good luck.

I'm genuinely struggling for words to convey how utterly ridiculous this has been, and still is. The people I've been corresponding with are either terribly overworked and unable to devote the necessary attention to an enquiry or they are, in my opinion, incompetent. In short I've spent most of my time correcting their mistakes, contradictions, incorrect facts and much more. If this continues I think Octopus will be following Iresa. In short, I'm back to where I was before all this started. My Octopus opening readings have been changed back to the readings from when I switched to them and nothing has changed with my previous supplier. Having produced a new statement with the proposed readings from my previous supplier, they have now produced another new statement using my original start reading. I went through it carefully. There is an inconsistency in their favour which I find alarming. The cost of gas in kWh. The readings that we put in come down to xxx UNITS. That is then converted to kWh using the standard industry formula. On the right of my statement it goes through the calculation using my xxx UNITS and comes out with a number in kWh. On the immediate left is my actual billing. The number is not the same, it's higher. I'm being charged for more kWh than I've used. I've asked for an explanation but I've had no reply for 3 days. To their credit, they've been very apologetic throughout for their mistakes and inconsistencies and have credited my account with £50 for my trouble. I can't see it yet, I'm trusting it will show up on my next statement. I'm still waiting for their answer about the overcharging of kWh.
    I'd advise you to check your billing for gas.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We helped an older relative switch to Octopus Energy for her electric in February and also we switched later the same month as we were so impressed with the customer service.

The accounts were very quickly set up and communications very clear.

So far, have supplied meter readings and received a fully itemised statements the next day.

With the referral cashback scheme, we have both received enough cashback to make them a lot cheaper (over £100) than any other supplier.

Still waiting for Iresa to send final bills, but that was to be expected!

It is worth using a PCW to compare prices, but then go direct to Octopus using a referral code as you then get £50 credited to your account, and even more if someone then uses your own referral code, once you have signed up.
  • Data_Bus
    I was impressed with their handling of my switch too. Very quick answering emails etc. It seems to be when they've got your custom or you have an enquiry that's not straight forward things go very wrong. It's been 6 days now and I'm still waiting for an answer about my kWh charges. I've had the reminder to tell me my direct debit payment is about to be taken though.
  • justwannabeloved
    justwannabeloved Posts: 136 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 10:56PM
    Latest finding with my recent switch to Octopus. Still very good, for us.

Had a email through from them yesterday, letting me know that the next direct debit will be collected on 16th ( I've set for 15th) but as it's a weekend i expected a change anyway so all good.

I figured that each time I get this email reminder in, I will do an meter reading that way I know what state my account is in either credit or debit.. They suggest taking a picture of your reading so you have proof ( not a bad idea for back up reasons if there's a query) so I have put my readings in and taken a picture.

For us I'm still really pleased with how switch went over between old company and Octopus. And the joining fee of £50 via referral code and sharing my code has given some credit too. I like all the email contact and email reminder re next dd and account was adjusted and email through not long after.

If anyone would like a quote ( my friend just saved herself £50 a month after running a quote , then changing to Octopus) here's my link : [Removed]

If you join you'll get £50 credit to your account after 1st dd collected, you'll get your own referral code to share and earn £50 credit each time someone uses your link too. There's no exit fee with Octopus either.
  • savik2
    savik2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Staff very helpful, but the supplier is amateur at best. I started the switch from EDF to Octopus in January: here we are, halfway through April and still the switch hasn't gone through. Partly EDF's fault, since they gave Octopus an incorrect meter number (old Smart meter, which they themselves had replaced not long before), so it was impossible to agree the final reading.

I think the whole problem is the flipping Smart meters. The first one EDF installed never sent them any readings, leaving me having to submit them manually. Then they came and fitted a second - eight months after I reported the fault. Everything went haywire at that point: I was issued with an annual projection of £35000 for my gas - obviously erroneous - and still I was being asked to submit manual meter readings. At this point I'd had enough and decided to switch. Octopus looked like a good deal - MSE recommended and everything - so I went for it.

Wish-wish-wish I hadn't.

Knowing I had no faith in the EDF smart meters fitted at my property, Octopus suggested I swap the EDF smart meters for theirs. Now that's been done, I wish-wish-wish I hadn't agreed. Their equpment is TERRIBLE - cheap rubbish. A major step backwards, in my opinion. The in-home monitor does not display meter readings - just a whole load of data that would be of interest only to the most geeky of eco-nuts, and then only until the novelty wears off. No-one needs to know how much energy they are consuming from minute to minute - what most householders want is a simple meter reading in the format the supplier actually asks for when prompting a manual read. Finding it impossible to get such a reading via the rudimentary monitor, I went to the new meters - to be faced with a bank of buttons, no instructions, and every one of them present a baffling barrage of pernickety data: everything but a simple reading! And nothing stays on the display screen long enough for a photo to be taken, so I can't send them a picture to ask - is this the reading you want? Or this? Or this???? I have never seen such poorly designed gear in my life. I would sell my very soul to go back to the simple dumb meters with the dials and reels - so much easier to read than these digital monsters. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

My relationship with Octopus will not be long - but I cannot switch again until this switch is complete. And I suspect they know this. The longer they stretch out the switching process, the longer I am trapped.

Switch, switch, switch, says Martin Lewis, it's easy!
    Yeah, right.

I will be switching, one more time. And I will be making my choice based on the type of Smart meter the company is offering. I want equipment that does the ONE thing we both need it to do, and that is to issue a simple meter reading at regular intervals, and to display it on the in-home monitor. If anyone reading this knows of a Smart meter that does this (apart from EDF - never want to go near THEM again), please let me know!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    @savik2. I won't quote your whole post; however, it is worth stating the obvious. IHDs are not there to provide YOU with a meter reading. One of the key attributes of a smart metering system that works is that consumers should never have to read a meter ever again. The IHD (which is not the smart meter) exists to do nothing more than give you an indication of usage and cost.

Suppliers are under no obligation to change smart meters each time you switch. If that was the case, then why would the Government have directed that the Data Communications Company and suppliers are to find a way of connecting SMETS1 meters to the central hub.
  • Data_Bus
    Data_Bus wrote: »
    I was impressed with their handling of my switch too. Very quick answering emails etc. It seems to be when they've got your custom or you have an enquiry that's not straight forward things go very wrong. It's been 6 days now and I'm still waiting for an answer about my kWh charges. I've had the reminder to tell me my direct debit payment is about to be taken though.

I'm quoting myself. I waited 10 days then sent an email prompting a reply. 3 days after that I got a reply stating all had been resolved. Foolishly I believed them without checking. Today, 5 days later I decided to check it out. It hasn't been resolved. The result from the calculation has been changed to agree with the figure they are charging me for, but the calculation is wrong. They have simply "Doctored" the answer. On Monday it will be 7 weeks since my first enquiry and it's still ongoing. So much for getting back to you in an hour. It's gone way beyond incompetence in my view. I've emailed back again today expressing my feelings as strongly as I can, but I don't hold out any hope whatsoever for a speedy resolution. My latest bill from them doesn't even show my electricity usage and charges. I've been reading their complaints procedure and will either raise a complaint, or simply bring it to the attention of the CEO and then just take my custom elsewhere explaining why. Probably the latter as I want an end to this fiasco.
  • A big thing that doesn't get discussed about smart meters, is that it's easy for potential thieves to know when your property is not being used. Like when your away on holiday etc. If you work for an energy provider it would be easy to access this information. Don't be naive and think things like this are too far fetched, the modern criminal will go to extraordinary lengths to part us with our valuables and money. Take my advice, if you haven't already got one, don't bother getting one. This link is interesting. https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-truth-behind-energys-next-big-thing/
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure