British Gas boiler installation quote - full system

13»

Comments

• This is the breakdown before discounts applied:
    ehpDbUe.png
    WkGSvsl.png

Well over priced for what you are getting. This should be in the approx. £3.5k tops, probably a little less. I guess you're entitled to the 'Free boiler', which it most certainly is not.
  • What area are you in? BG are expensive but you do get a little peace of mind being large company. That said the installs I see from them are no better or worse than most I come across.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My local c/h installers are listed on Which approved ch installers list. I had to give a verbal reference and written reference for this. Have you thought of trying a local installer from the Which approved list?
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We always use Swale heating (I think they cover London & the Home Counties).

This was after (many years ago now) arranging for British Gas to change a back boiler and upgrade our system - they sub-contracted the work to Swale who did a great job. Three house moves later and we have used Swale every time for upgrades/ new installations. The cost has in my opinion always been very fair
  • Way over priced, BG are prob paying less than 50% of the price you are being charged for that boiler, BG are a company no different to your local installer apart from they have more people working for them, the boiler is covered by the manu so if they are throwing in their cover for free that’s a complete waste of money
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Hi,

Our conventional gravity system to combi (no rad work involved) install completed today, BG quoted £4K (with Hive), local tradesman 1 £3, local tradesman 2 £2k.4 (vaugue quote) and local tradesman 3 £2k.

We didn't go with the last quote simply because of the price but because his family run company is well regarded in the area, his price was not only extremely competitive but fixed no matter how much extra work was involved (lots) and his spoke so much sense with regards to our choice of boiler.

The chaps that did it were absolutely lovely and even though the job ran on an extra day the price remained the same. They did all the little things too, cleaned up impeccably, registered the 5 year guarantee and we can go straight to him if we have any issues in those first 5 years.

(Cheshire)

Sarah
  • plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    langsmith wrote: »
    Well over priced for what you are getting. This should be in the approx. £3.5k tops, probably a little less. I guess you're entitled to the 'Free boiler', which it most certainly is not.

The only defense I can put up for this quote is that at least they didn't try and rip you off too much for the boiler. A busy company will be getting this boiler for £875-900. A lot of the work is part of the installation and shouldn't really be quoted separately.

A good local independent company would have quoted £3500 for this work, possibly less. Find a local company who you can trust - then use them!
  • Hi, it seems a high quote. You could probably get that down to 3k with a local company.

We're based in liverpool if that helps

Aigburth plumbing & heating

Thanks john
  • MichaelDH
    MichaelDH Posts: 154
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Our house had never had central heating until we moved in. We used a local contractor to install a Baxi 33 Combi boiler, large double rads in living room, dining room and hall, small double in kitchen, large doubles in 2 bedrooms and a small double in small bedroom plus a full height towel radiator in bathroom. Total over kill but we like a toasty house! All rads have thermostats on accept for in the hall. We had a nest thermostat installed, a magnatec boiler filter and all pipework, and boiler has a 10 year warranty. All for £3,500.

Hope this helps.
    Starting Balance August 2016: £170,199.00 | Remortgaged August 2018: £212,000.00
    Current Balance (15th February 2019): £209,278.85 :eek:
    Target: Balance below £170,000.00 by August 2023 :)
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This thread is about a year old. Not much use posting in it now.

OP could come back and tell us if BG did a good job?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure