Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    I don't think mine is 'free' per se, as the discount shown doesn't specifically mention it, but then it doesn't mention anything in particular! Just a single big fat juicy discount figure for 12 months.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    After a few haggling calls I managed to get 100mb broadband and phone with talk weekends for an average of £24/month on a 12 month contract.

Probably not the cheapest deal I could have got, but I was close to going into the next full price billing period and the cost of that would probably have offset any gain from haggling further or going to the wire on threat of cancellation. I did ask to be put through to the cancellations team and the CSA suddenly decided he also worked in cancellations and asked "So will you be porting your number when you leave?" :rotfl:

Given my last BT experience I would have willingly paid an extra £5/month just to avoid ever dealing with them again ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    After a few haggling calls I managed to get 100mb broadband and phone with talk weekends for an average of £24/month on a 12 month contract.

Sounds not a bad deal to me - New customers can get better, but that is always the case!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    darren72 wrote: »
    Sounds not a bad deal to me - New customers can get better, but that is always the case!

Something gave me the impression that £22 would have been achievable, but time wasn't on my side. So next time I'll remember to start negotiating well before the end of my current bill period.

The other factor is the mysterious mobile package I have which is worth at least another £5/month to me. I don't understand why I've got it and don't want to ask ;) So I also didn't want to move to BT and end up with unexpected mobile bills landing on my doormat. Looking at it that way the BB and landline is actually costing an average of £19/month.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 June 2017 at 1:35PM
    Rang and cancelled last night gonna wait for retentions,Although the guy i spoke to said he didn't work for Virgin it was another company taking the calls.Also said he paid £140 a month for the package he on was like i believe that.Got emails very quick saying they'll send out details of sending equipment back etc.
    Better start looking at sky deals i think.My daughter just got fibre bb tv anytime calls from sky £30 a month seems a decent deal includes line rental.
    Any better offers out there.
  • Zoom7000
    Zoom7000 Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In recent years, haggling hasn't worked too well for me at all. I'm on 200Mbps broadband (got the phone, but don't need it, only got it because it's cheaper with the phone). I'm currently paying £42/Month. I'm looking at the new customer deal and it's £37/Month for the first 12 months and then £45/Month thereafter. So, it looks like I'm looking at a £5/Month deal at best. Anyone think I can get any better? :undecided

The trouble with the threat of leaving for me is that they know that there isn't anywhere else I can go. BT haven't yet released their ultra fast package and the nearest deal is for "up to 78Mbps" and I get nothing near that due to distance from the exchange.
  • So, been with Virgin for 3 years, monthly subscription has crept up.. was paying around £90 for TV, phone BB etc etc. Happy with the package, but once the wife added a few movies, this easily crept to over £100......

Anyways, long story short, read so much on this forum about haggling, and seeing it on TV recently, thought I'd have a go....

Phoned VM, said I wanted to leave and go with sky as they were too expensive. Guy on phone offered me a mega discount of... wait for it....£7 !!!!!! Well... needless to say that wasnt going to cut the mustard, said not enough, put me on notice - 30 days.

3 days later, got a call form a loverly young lady from the retentions department (I assume) . She said she was sad to hear we were leaving, and why.. I had a bit of friendly banter with her, and told her honestly that it was too expensive.... she came to down straight away to £49.. with no haggling !

SO, with still 27 days left until my notice, I thought I'd push it a little further..... and said thanks, I will check with the wife.... and call her back. I never did.

25 (or so) days later, just before the cancellation term ended, low and behold, another phone call.... same story, sad to hear IM going etc etc... I said I was happy with the £49, but a little annoyed that Id been paying £90 odd pound for so long... and asked if she could do anything else, add F1, or Sports /movies etc etc.. she said she couldnt... but, if I signed up for 18 months, shed knock £5/month more off .... job done... £44/month...

So, 3 phone calls, probably 30minutes max, and Ive saved around £540/pa.... !!! Happy days.
  • den169
    Forumite
    Well 2 days since i cancelled because my free line rental was due to end and i get a call.Finished up getting £3 off and 50mb up.
    My deal is 150mb fun tv with Eurosport evening weekend calls £30-5p.Includes line rental 12 month contract so happy with that.
  • den169
    Forumite
    Zoom7000 wrote: »
    In recent years, haggling hasn't worked too well for me at all. I'm on 200Mbps broadband (got the phone, but don't need it, only got it because it's cheaper with the phone). I'm currently paying £42/Month. I'm looking at the new customer deal and it's £37/Month for the first 12 months and then £45/Month thereafter. So, it looks like I'm looking at a £5/Month deal at best. Anyone think I can get any better? :undecided

The trouble with the threat of leaving for me is that they know that there isn't anywhere else I can go. BT haven't yet released their ultra fast package and the nearest deal is for "up to 78Mbps" and I get nothing near that due to distance from the exchange.

Cancel anyway give it a couple of weeks,You can always ring back and say you've decided to stay,But i would bet they'll be ringing within a week,See my other post above they rang me after 2 days i would have been happy for them to give me free line rental again,But got £3 off and an extra 50mb.Aswell as free line rental.By the way i always record my conversations with Virgin but do tell them.
  • mummy72
    mummy72 Posts: 103
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi
    Looking a little bit of advice, been with virgin over 10 years and always got a decent deal after giving notice, contract now up and monthly package now £77, so called and gave my 30 days notice. Have had lots of calls from retentions but they have always been when I have been out so haven't been able to answer them. Due to have services switched off tomorrow and so today the only day I'm home have had no calls, does this mean they have given up? Called virgin to say I had missed calls from them but they said unfortunately they cannot get me to connected to them it would be a case of them just calling me back. Has anyone had the same experience and should I just let them switch off and then hopefully get a new deal? Or do they call last minute?
    TIA
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure