The Happiness Fund.

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 February 2017 at 10:06PM
    Options
    Whoops, it's all changed I forgot to stay. I fell asleep as I wasn't well & when I woke up the sofa was clean after the stuff from the poundshop. I just cancelled my appointment with the upholstery cleaner and saved £95 so I just went out and spent £2.20 on sweets and crisps. lol

Tomorrow some of my friends are going to the pictures and a meal again, they go every week. The weather is going to be nice so I am going to clean sofas properly and also bedclothes. If time I will do some marking. I will see my friends on other days. I am going to make the most of the weather.

I might jump on cross dresser but that depends on health. I am so unfit. I want to fit in my skinny jeans properly as I look like a lump of lard after being ill for so long.

My moneysaving ways have been reinforced further by this amazing site called the Universe Guru. Really impressed so far. An American couple paid off their mortgage in 3 years $200,000 and are planning to retire asap. I will explore over the next week.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I wish I could fit in skinny jeans :o The sun is shining here so I am going to fit in a walk later as long as my back will let me

Good result on the sofa cleaner ! Might be worth stocking up on a couple of bottles if its that cheap

Have a good day
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • bobobski
    Options
    Eggs are usually "best before" so you can use them after the date just be careful that they look and smell ok when you crack them open- you could make them into an omelette and freeze it. They only take minutes to warm up in the microwave

A trick I've seen is to put the egg in a glass/bowl of water and see if it floats. As eggs get older they get lots of tiny holes in the shell which let air in (hence they go off), so the older they are the more they'll float. If they're not floating, or not completely at the surface, you don't need to chuck them out :) I have no idea how this corresponds with the best before date, but I feel an experiment coming on...

You sound like you've had a really good week SW, I'm pleased for you :) My American friends are terrified of Trump btw, they're reluctant to go home until he's gone!

"I might jump on cross dresser" - that made me laugh :rotfl:
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Great tip for eggs there bobobski - Let me know how it goes I will have to give that a try !
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I will try it out.

I am copying Skint Again - It's all her fault :rotfl::rotfl:- I am washing bedclothes as weather will be nicer today. Then I am going to clean sofas arms it should only take about 10 mins.

I have also discovered that the area under my sink full of cleaners is like an apothecary's shop. I might do a few mins per day sorting that out.

Today will be a chill day.

I love this forum. We have lovely people. :j:money::D
  • savingwannabe
    edited 18 February 2017 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Ooh sun has come out. birds are tweeting. It's just like Rhubarb and Custard. I am going to start scrubbing sofa. Tata for now.

I just went for a walk and bought a Monopoly game for £2 from a lady down the road. She had advertised it on the net. I can't believe how little it cost it is such a nice game I don't mind spending money on it.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 18 February 2017 at 5:56PM
    Options
    Weather is glorious.

I am half way through cleaning out left hand side of sink my hands are so dry and am exhausted. In terms of cleaning substances I have the equivalent of the GDP of a small nation under my sink. :eek:

I am keeping one of everything and rest is going in garage. So embarrassed I thought I was being MSE and saving :o Going to sleep. Finished. Garage was tidy and is now the proud home of half of a cleaning aisle of a major supermarket. I am shattered. A horrid job is complete. Yay. Am having tea and chill.

No marking done....... lol.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 19 February 2017 at 3:54PM
    Options
    Fell asleep listening to Dooonald's speech on the news last night. He knows all the tricks. I fell asleep with the telly on. Next time I am going to watch 'Snapped' instead, murderers are less depressing.

No major cooking planned today as I am still finishing off my salads etc and I will just have sarnies. I am envious of Skint Not Again's cooking.

Weather looks dull. So I am not waiting I just put clothes in the tumble dryer. I will do some marking later off to watch tv.

I have finished marking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will visit work tomorrow and plan next weeks work and also put all the marking from the last 6 weeks on the system.

I am having hot chocolate. I did think of using the cross dresser but cant be bothered so I am going to sleep for a bit. lol.

I am taking out frozen beef and stew veg for a casserole for tomorrow. I am following the advice of Skint Not Again and will try to stick it in a hot pot if it has defrosted by tomorrow.

I am bored but the fact the days are getting longer is helping and also I know my voice is much better. Things are on the up.
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    I'm sure I've seen a recipe online for gluten-free pancakes that are made using mashed up bananas. Or was it vegan pancakes? I can't remember - but if you Google pancakes made with bananas you'll probably find the recipe. You can also use them and the eggs to make banana cake, or possible banana bread!

Congratulations on finishing the marking!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • savingwannabe
    edited 20 February 2017 at 5:45PM
    Options
    All this talk of food is making me hungry!!!!

I have just come back from work. I did some admin and will do some more tomorrow. I did spend 90p on tea. I will take a flask tomorrow!!!

It is nice to be home but also a relief as I had a good day at work. I was the only person in as it is half term. I worked slowly and carefully. I am looking forward to going back. I chatted to staff in other areas and noticed my breathing and talking is not quite right so I have to work on it over the next few days.

I am still waiting for one more direct debit to go out and then I can switch current accounts. lol.....

Just checked I am on the best deal for gas and electric and am signed up till August. Yay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure