Different prices on the same tarriff between calling direct / looking on uSwitch

theone999
theone999 Posts: 203 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 7 October 2017 at 5:58AM in Energy
I have moved to a new house and want to get off the standard tarriff to something cheaper. I have never switched suppliers before and never used anything other than standard tarriff. (technically about 8 years ago I tried once, but Scottish power !!!!ed up and switched the wrong meters and I was billed twice by 2 energy companies and never tried switching again)

However, I am very confused that the 2 energy companies I've called up, SSE (current house current supplier) and British Gas (old house old supplier) have given me very different quotes on the telephone for the SAME tarriff compared to what uSwitch is telling me.

In both cases, whatever they are telling me on the phone, it is cheaper online in uSwitch.

Which set of prices are incorrect?

Is it going to be like this for every supplier?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    PCWs tend to show VAT inclusive prices. Suppliers may or may not.

The important thing to check is that you are using projected kWhs/year as the basis for your comparison not something as vague as a 3 bedroomed home.

From the UK Power website:

For our calculations we have used the following annual energy usage amounts which are based on industry figures:

(1) 1 or 2 bedroom house/flat - gas usage of 8,000kWh and an electricity usage of 2,000kWh
    (2) 3 or 4 bedroom house - gas usage of 12,500kWh and an electricity usage of 3,100kWh
    (3) 5+ bedroom house - gas usage of 18,000kWh and an electricity usage of 4,600kWh

You should get the same annual cost projection from both the supplier and an Ofgem-accredited PCW. Remember, the only things that are fixed in a Fixed Term contract are term; unit price and the upper limit of the daily standing charge (discounts are taken from the standing charge so if you default on, say, payment this discount may be removed and the standing charge will increase.)

If you use more energy than that used to make the comparison, you will pay more.

Switching is easy. The gaining supplier manages all aspects of the switch but you must inform the existing supplier that you have moved in with a meter reading so that they can bill you until your transfer to a new supplier goes through.
  • theone999
    theone999 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hengus wrote: »
    PCWs tend to show VAT inclusive prices. Suppliers may or may not.

The important thing to check is that you are using projected kWhs/year as the basis for your comparison not something as vague as a 3 bedroomed home.

From the UK Power website:

For our calculations we have used the following annual energy usage amounts which are based on industry figures:

(1) 1 or 2 bedroom house/flat - gas usage of 8,000kWh and an electricity usage of 2,000kWh
    (2) 3 or 4 bedroom house - gas usage of 12,500kWh and an electricity usage of 3,100kWh
    (3) 5+ bedroom house - gas usage of 18,000kWh and an electricity usage of 4,600kWh

You should get the same annual cost projection from both the supplier and an Ofgem-accredited PCW. Remember, the only things that are fixed in a Fixed Term contract are term; unit price and the upper limit of the daily standing charge (discounts are taken from the standing charge so if you default on, say, payment this discount may be removed and the standing charge will increase.)

If you use more energy than that used to make the comparison, you will pay more.

Switching is easy. The gaining supplier manages all aspects of the switch but you must inform the existing supplier that you have moved in with a meter reading so that they can bill you until your transfer to a new supplier goes through.

No. I meant unit kw/h prices are cheaper. So are standing charges.

For the same tariff, same postcode.

I just ran uswitch and they said the price they quote can't be different from the supplier, but that's clearly not true. I can do screenshots later to prove it. Uswitch said their prices are inclusive of VAT so that's doesn't explain it at all.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Have a look at Which Switch or Citizens Advice and make a comparison via the supplier's website and see if there is still a discrepancy. I wouldn't rely on a telephone conversation. CS have been known to get things wrong!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    theone999 wrote: »
    I have moved to a new house and want to get off the standard tarriff to something cheaper. I have never switched suppliers before and never used anything other than standard tarriff. (technically about 8 years ago I tried once, but Scottish power !!!!ed up and switched the wrong meters and I was billed twice by 2 energy companies and never tried switching again)

However, I am very confused that the 2 energy companies I've called up, SSE (current house current supplier) and British Gas (old house old supplier) have given me very different quotes on the telephone for the SAME tarriff compared to what uSwitch is telling me.

In both cases, whatever they are telling me on the phone, it is cheaper online in uSwitch.

Which set of prices are incorrect?

Is it going to be like this for every supplier?

The price for any given tariff is exactly the same whether it is bought direct from a supplier or via a third party i.e. a price comparison site.

If you find the price is different with a PCW, then check with another, where you will hopefully find the price is the same as that shown by the supplier itself.

The price as declared by the supplier on their own website will invariably be the correct price, and any other price can usually be put down to human error.
    I am sure the PCW involved will be happy to accept your findings if supported by contradicory evidence e.g. from the suppliers own website, and should then hopefully act promptly to correct any error on their PCW.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 12:34PM
    theone999 wrote: »
    I just ran uswitch and they said the price they quote can't be different from the supplier, but that's clearly not true..

It is true ... or at least should be save for any human error I previously suggested
    (I suppose a similar error could occur by a phone jockey at the supplier, but it would be rare, and open to question if you see a different tariff on their own website)
  • Uswitch tend to show prices nett of VAT in my experience
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport