Help interpreting bill-spaghetti from energy company

Options
I've had a dispute with an energy company, where they have accepted responsibility for causing me an issue that resulted in overcharging. They have since promised me reimbursement and good-will payments and I still have a credit balance with them months after leaving (this should have been automatically refunded).

The reimbursement and good-will payments may and may not have come through... I just can't tell! The bills and letters received from the company, as well as the online list of credits and debits, have numbers flying all over the place! Values are added and removed for multiple amounts on the same day. Some of them have no label or indication of purpose or origin. I was given a "final offer" via email, accepted it, then saw my balance change the next day!

I could be out of pocket. I could be being stupid. I need to know if there's a service that will look at the numbers with me to understand what's going on. I know the ombudsman can help if there's a debt owed, but I don't want to go down that route until I understand what my case even is (or if there is one).

In the meantime, there has been a steady value for my credit with them for a couple of months now - if I nudge them to send that to me, will I risk this being interpreted as an acceptance that no further could possibly be owed?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Work out from readings how much you should have paid, then see how that compares to your payments.

If you're still unsure many utility providers have reps on here. If you contact the relevant one they can talk you through it.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I need to know if there's a service that will look at the numbers with me to understand what's going on.

Probably your best bet would be to make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau and have someone with some financial expertise go through the figures with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure