DWP benefit debt

I posted nearly a year ago about this - despite not knowing for certain that I had not paid off a debt to the DWP nearer the time, i have been landed with a bill of £721 by them from ten years ago. I don't have bank records going back that far so cannot prove that I repaid it/they made a mistake. There was some kind of debt and they have sent evidence, but they can't prove that I didn't repay it or at least some of it at the time. Some was a crisis loan, some was benefit overpayment - I think housing benefit. I was in and out of work so this could be a mistake. I have been paying £10 a month for a year just to keep them off my back. I don't want to increase the payments until I am certain of the facts but this is difficult to get. They now want me to pay upwards of £50 a month. I haven't claimed any benefits for well over 8 years and even then only for a few weeks. I've been in full time employment.

I have no record of my financial situation before the past eight years. How can they just send letters like this, so long after the event? it is so obvious that people are in a weaker position t prove they don't owe it anymore. Thanks I hope someone can help.

Comments

• CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    hi Alicebanned, thank you for your query regarding DWP debt
    If you did not dispute the debt a year ago and have been making payments since I think you argument for disputing it now is weakened but if you do want to do that I would suggest you seek advice from a benefits adviser. Any creditor can ask for a review of your circumstances to see if you can increase you repayments to them and most do on a 6 monthly or yearly basis but if you circumstances have not improved I would suggest you send a new budget and letter stating you cannot increase the offer of repayment. You can find more advice on negotiating with creditors and template letters at www.adviceguide.org.uk
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ok, thanks for your reply. I didn't dispute it a year ago as they sent me evidence of the debt. I did have reservations about it though. Think I will need to get a record of my current account at the time but the point is it is difficult for me to prove otherwise so in reality very unfair that they can spring debts on people after so long. They may have made a mistake but I didn't mind paying £10 a month in the meantime until I had found out whether I could prove otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure