Judgement debtor in Jail - TPDO?

Some months ago I secured a payment order to the tune of £3000. At the time I was in County court, unbeknown to me the debtor was in Crown Court and subsequently is detained at Her Majesties pleasure for 5 years!

I had given up on the prospect of enforcement but it has come to my knowledge that the JD has a bank account with a balance of about £1000 making the prospect of a third party debt order worthy of consideration.

My problem is that to submit an application for a TPDO I need to provide the court with the JD's current address and I do not know which jail he is in. I have found the Prisoner Location Service and it takes about 2 weeks as they will check that the prisoner is happy for me to know where he is before they reply. I doubt if he will give his permission for his whereabouts to be made known to me, and in any case the enquiry itself may be enough to panic him into moving the funds.

Any suggestions as to how I can find his location without tipping him off? Or can I suggest to the court that since they put him in Jail their own records should enable them to serve the TPDO?

All assistance gratefully received.

Comments

• CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi tpdo, thank you for your query regarding debtor in prison.
    Unfortunately we are currently only answering queries for people in debt or are disputing a debt. You can find more information about enforcement of a CCJ at www.adviceguide.org.uk or contact the court who should be able to assist you.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure