Advice on booking hotel in Spain for 2020 stay

Hi,

I usually book hotels and flights separately for holidays in Spain, and make reservations directly with the hotel which obviously means committing to a rate in euros, albeit usually with no pre-payment and free cancellation up to a couple of weeks before the arrival date. However, given the volatile exchange rates at the moment I'm wondering whether I'd be best to book with booking.com or similar for summer 2020 in order to secure the price in sterling, even though the rates direct are cheaper at the current exchange rates.

Can anyone please give some advice? I know it's a bit of a lottery when booking in euros at any time but I'd be interested to know what other people would do in the same position.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As you say, it's anybody's guess as to how exchange rate will go.

I would wait.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If it's free cancellation then you have nothing to lose by securing the accommodation now. I've never used booking.com but if they also offer free cancellation you could book direct and through them and make a final decision just before the free cancellation period ends.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As far as I am aware, if you book and pay now (in £) then you lose the option to cancel free of charge at a later date. You could try a few sample bookings to see what terms and conditions apply for "pay now"

Under these circumstances you may lose out with the rate of exchange (who knows how it will go) and also lose out should you have to amend or cancel your booking at a later date. Your travel insurance may help should you need to cancel, assuming you have some in place.
  • If you book a hotel in Spain the booking.com GBP price is only an approximate price because you'll be paying the hotel in euros. If you're paying now for a non refundable room it will show you the euro price but the exchange rate could change before the hotel process the payment. If you book a refundable pay on arrival room you will pay in euros at the exchange rate at that time.
  • L25
    L25 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks all. I think I'll book direct as usual and keep my fingers crossed.
  • mickey234
    mickey234 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Try https://www.stayforlong.com - they are a Spanish company which discount hotels in Spain and the Canaries at great rates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure