Royal Mail - lose your credit card receipt - lose your property and your rights?

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    Do you make a habit of losing "stuff". If someone handed you a £50 note I bet you would look after it and not shred it!
    But if they did lose or shred it, it would be someone else's fault for not telling them to make sure they kept it safe.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,162
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Notwithstanding the foolhardiness of discarding the tracking number until proof of delivery was received, let's assume the OP has retained the tracking number and pops into his local PO to check if the parcel has been delivered (I know you cannot actually do this but bear with), hands over his tracking number and the PO counter operative says "No, we shred/destroy/discard/don't keep our records at the end of each day." How are they going to track the parcel???? I know you can track your parcels on-line by using the tracking number, so there is a record.
  • Huskydays
    Huskydays Posts: 99
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Notwithstanding the foolhardiness of discarding the tracking number until proof of delivery was received, let's assume the OP has retained the tracking number and pops into his local PO to check if the parcel has been delivered (I know you cannot actually do this but bear with), hands over his tracking number and the PO counter operative says "No, we shred/destroy/discard/don't keep our records at the end of each day." How are they going to track the parcel???? I know you can track your parcels on-line by using the tracking number, so there is a record.
    There is a record of the tracking number but it sounds like the post office don't retain any record of which specific transaction links with which specific tracking number.
    A witty saying proves nothing
  • Captain_Sensible
    Captain_Sensible Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 4:30PM
    Clearly having a bad day - of all the days I could have picked to post this question I picked the day the self-righteous brigade were frequenting the forum. Dear oh dear.
    Nobody here ever accidentally loses/misplaces anything - tedious bores and non-representative of the majority of us.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 9:50PM
    But you didn't lose/misplace anything. You deliberately shredded it before bothering to check if it had been delivered. What if it had been a winning lottery ticket, would you have shredded that then blamed the shop for not having a record of your unique claim code and your winning numbers?

The receipts clearly state on them to retain as proof, the fact you chose to either not read it or not pay attention is your own fault. Nobody is being self righteous, disagreeing with you does not mean they are wrong. It's very childish to throw your toys out of the pram for not getting the answers you want. As for not representing the majority, based on the replies so far it is you who is the minority.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,864
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    But I take the action stated to ensure I do not lose the receipt.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I picked the day the self-righteous brigade were frequenting the forum. Dear oh dear.
    Not quite.
    You actually picked the day that everyone told you how it is and not how you wanted it to be.
    If you only want replies that stated that everything was the fault of the Post Office and they are a big, nasty customer unfriendly organisation, try Mumsnet next time.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,162
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Clearly having a bad day - of all the days I could have picked to post this question I picked the day the self-righteous brigade were frequenting the forum. Dear oh dear.
    Nobody here ever accidentally loses/misplaces anything - tedious bores and non-representative of the majority of us.
    Actually I was on your side (apart from saying you were silly to throw away the number before confirming delivery of item) but now I am not so sure!

When you check on line and you have previously used the service, the drop down box has your old number(s) in it. Have you tried that?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 12:14PM
    I have some sympathy with the op. I occasionally lose posting receipts and once needed the receipt for a claim. However if I do this I only blame myself.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Some posters have asked this but you haven't answered it; How did you think you actually tracked the parcel if the receipt contained no useful information?.

Let's forget the fact you didn't actually loose or misplace anything; you cut it up into pieces and threw it in the bin.

But personally i know that i do sometimes loose/misplace/forget important information. So i make sure that i cannot loose/misplace/forget it!. Any important information i will take a picture of on my phone which is backed up and synced with my main PC automatically, i also do occasional offline backups. So this mean i cannot loose it!. I also use a digital calendar and to do list which is synced in the same way across my devices.

So not only did you not do anything to copy the information on the receipt, you didn't even read it before you destroyed it. How could that possibly be anyone's fault but your own?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure