Humax Boxes

Some years ago I bought a Humax box which has served us very well, but we cannot record more than one programme at the same time which can be annoying.

Are you able to record more than one programme at the same time with the newer boxes? Is it worth shelling out £300 for a new box?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes you can - you don't need to spend £300 though.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Yes if its twin or triple tuner, not all are.
  • I bought a secondhand YouView box (a DTRT1000) off eBay for £35 a few months ago. which I've found very good and reliable.

It records two programmes at once whilst being able to watch a recording.

However, it does have a mysterious quirk. If I'm recording two non-HD channels, I cannot watch another live non-HD channel. But if I'm recording two HD channels, I can watch a third live HD channel at the same time.

I can't explain why this happens.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    In the digital TV world a TV programme doesn't occupy a full channel any more - it's just part of one. What were the old analogue channels carry quite a few digital channels and are called multiplexes.

See https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

If what you want to watch is being carried on one of the "channels" or multiplexes you are recording from or the two you are recording are carried on the same multiplex (quite likely for HD programmes) then you'll be able to watch the additional program.
  • kwikbreaks wrote: »
    In the digital TV world a TV programme doesn't occupy a full channel any more - it's just part of one. What were the old analogue channels carry quite a few digital channels and are called multiplexes.

If what you want to watch is being carried on one of the "channels" or multiplexes you are recording from or the two you are recording are carried on the same multiplex (quite likely for HD programmes) then you'll be able to watch the additional program.

That's interesting. Thanks for that.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can get Humax refurbished units from here
    I did, you really couldn't tell it wasn't new

£89 for HDR-1800T - Twin tuner

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.html
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    kwikbreaks wrote: »

I've tried one of the older single-tuner humaxes (9100 was it ?). It definitely only allowed one recording (even though I knew about the multiplex stuff) - my guess is that it would have been too hard to explain to users why sometimes they can record one program, and sometimes two. So they just made the interface force a limit of a single recording (and you may or may not be able to watch a different channel at the same time).

In the same way, a dual-tuner (eg 9200) allows two recordings even though in principle more could be done concurrently.

(I now use tvheadend software on an rpi - it only has a single tuner, but will record as many multiplexed programs as I have asked for.)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    I've got an annoying bug on the cheap refurb freesat box I bought on eBay for my caravan.

Despite it having 2 tuners if you are watching something and a recording kicks off it puts up a warning message and eventually just changes channel to the one you are recording. You can then just change the channel back and it's fine. As a lot of refurbs on eBay are just customer returns I suspect this firmware bug explains why there were loads of these on eBay at the time I bought it.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I've got an annoying bug on the cheap refurb freesat box I bought on eBay for my caravan.

Despite it having 2 tuners if you are watching something and a recording kicks off it puts up a warning message and eventually just changes channel to the one you are recording. You can then just change the channel back and it's fine. As a lot of refurbs on eBay are just customer returns I suspect this firmware bug explains why there were loads of these on eBay at the time I bought it.

That often means it's not getting a signal on one of the two coax inputs on the back of the box - have you checked the signal strength on both inputs? Cable integrity etc..?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • I have a Humax Freeview Play FVP 4000t that records 4 channels and you may be able to watch a fifth.

My box works fine but it`s worth reading up on it as some people have problems with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure