Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Dave-M wrote: »
    Warning - All is not as it seems
    I have just transferred to Tonik on what I believed was a 12 month contract, but now find the contract started on the date I signed up, not on the date the supply started. Price comparison sites including Which? indicate that the Tonik contract starts on the supply date, however Tonik disagree and will not amend the date.

This has been discussed before. Your contract began on the day that the supplier accepted your application to switch. As the actual transfer can take anything from 17 to 35 days, it follows that the fixed term period can be less. Suppliers normally make it clear in the Welcome Letter if the fixed term period of 1 year starts on the day of the actual transfer of supply or not. PCWs need to take this up with the supplier.
  • Scottishpower fix was coming to an end and all their tariffs were a lot more than the fix I was on. Tonik was rare in that it was cheaper than what it was on. The switch happened when they said it would, they took money from direct debit when they said they would. I phoned customer service to ask a question- they answered phone fairly quickly and were positive in their response. They have brought newer tariffs out since I switched but they appear to be tha same which I don’t understand. On v7 you can move att any time with no penalty but it is fixed for 12 months if you don’t switch. Monthly charge is one twelfth of annual estimate which will be reviewed after 6 months. There doesn’t appear to be an app though there is an easy to use online account . The smart meter I had installed with scottishpower is now only useful for getting meter readings down without looking at the meter ( but when they all get upgraded in time that should get fixed ).

They do a £20 amazon voucher to new joiners who are referred.
  • wizzywilc
    wizzywilc Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Decided to switch from Octopus to Tonik in December. All seemed very smooth "we deal with everything for you". Submitted opening readings as requested early in January. Later in January was surprised to get a request for meter readings from Octopus. Raised this with Tonik who told me "when we receive opening meter readings from our Members we are required to submit these to an independent 3rd party known as the Data Collector. The Data Collector holds all the historical consumption information for your property and is required to validate the readings that we provide. Their role is to avoid mis-entry of readings among other things.
    They will either validate the readings or provide both ourselves and your old supplier with an alternative set of readings to use. .. The process does take up to 30 days."
    I'd never heard of this, and was annoyed to then get a Tonik bill based on Octopuse's estimated closing reading, which was of course higher than my actual reading. They told me that they had raised a dispute with the Data Collector and not to worry. Nothing heard since.

Anyone else come across this?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    wizzywilc wrote: »
    Decided to switch from Octopus to Tonik in December. All seemed very smooth "we deal with everything for you". Submitted opening readings as requested early in January. Later in January was surprised to get a request for meter readings from Octopus. Raised this with Tonik who told me "when we receive opening meter readings from our Members we are required to submit these to an independent 3rd party known as the Data Collector. The Data Collector holds all the historical consumption information for your property and is required to validate the readings that we provide. Their role is to avoid mis-entry of readings among other things.
    They will either validate the readings or provide both ourselves and your old supplier with an alternative set of readings to use. .. The process does take up to 30 days."
    I'd never heard of this, and was annoyed to then get a Tonik bill based on Octopuse's estimated closing reading, which was of course higher than my actual reading. They told me that they had raised a dispute with the Data Collector and not to worry. Nothing heard since.

Anyone else come across this?

Hi - welcome to the forum. Under the terms of their Supply Licences, all suppliers are required to manage the transfer processes associated when taking on a new customer. Tonik is correct that all matter readings requested on switch are verified by the Data Collectors. Do they trust me? The simple is that they don't trust consumers. Many people misread dial meters; many people cannot be bothered to submit a meter reading, and some lie because they think that they can save a few £s by doing so. The validated meter readings are used to open and close your accounts. If an estimated reading is higher than the actual meter reading then you will only pay the standing charge until the estimated meter reading is reached. In truth, the difference in cost is usually pence.

There are limits of error between the meter reading that you provided and any estimate that has been used. If there is a large discrepancy, then an Agreed Readings Dispute can be raised which in true energy industry style can take up to 12 weeks to resolve. Simple errors are usually resolved with a phone call between the two suppliers.
  • Wel
    Wel Posts: 3 Newbie
    If you are after a quick pain free switch, I do not recommend Tonik. Took me two attempts and 4 months to switch. Their admin skills are not up to date. When contacted by email response time is pretty quick but not very helpful since there doesn't seem to be any communication between departments. Hope they will improve because I believe going Green is important and supporting small companies too.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 16 March 2018 at 12:03PM
    Wel wrote: »
    If you are after a quick pain free switch, I do not recommend Tonik. Took me two attempts and 4 months to switch. Their admin skills are not up to date. When contacted by email response time is pretty quick but not very helpful since there doesn't seem to be any communication between departments. Hope they will improve because I believe going Green is important and supporting small companies too.
    Similar story here. The web interface is poor; Iresa's had more information e.g. reading history (Tonik just have the last reading); they don't send emails with a record of meter readings that you've just read; BUT they do respond to chats. So give them a chance. Separate departments? I don't think these small companies work like that. They're probably clustered around one big desk with a load of laptops, wearing headsets - and the're all multi-talented.
    PS. but none of them seem to have a clue about how gas readings are validated and how long it should take. "it'll be on the web-portal in 24hours" Oh no it won't -and wasn't. Isn't upto 6 days for validating gas readings?

PPS. Had a struggle to convince Tonik that my gas reading at switchover was WAY too low. And the reason my updated readings since then had been ignored was because "the system wouldn't accept them because they were too high".
    Anyway, after a little SHOUTING via their Chat system, they accepted my current reading immediately and issued a revised statement. If they can enter a reading immediately like this, where does the validations authority come into play?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    I switched to Tonik mid February and everything has gone smoothly so far. They have responded quickly to emails but not had cause to call them at all. The £20 referral fee is a bonus!
  • Neri
    Neri Posts: 5 Forumite
    Very unintelligent site. Got a quote, asked for DD than got email confirmation for DD without welcoming pack and what I have signed ie got a quote for. No registration option, just log in! Saturday no telephone contact. Bad start.
  • I switched to Tonik a year ago using MSE Cheap Energy Club and I've got to say, I'm very impressed: the transition was seemless, they send me emails every month asking me to provide a meter reading which means that I remember to send them meter readings to help keep on top of my bills.

The few times I've contacted them with queries, their response has been prompt, accurate and friendly.

I've had an absolute NIGHTMARE with E.on and NPower prior to this, so I am beyond delighted that there are still some energy companies out there still worth dealing with. (I can see that others haven't had such a good experience on this thread, though, so I hope they manage to help the other people and be as good with them as they have been with me.)

I'm so happy with them I'm signing up for a new 12 month deal with them now my first deal has come to an end. :)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Hi. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences about Tonik. I look forward to signing up with them in coming days. Can someone explain how a referral code works? Also wouldn't mind receiving one, if possible. Appreciate.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback