Noisy Neighbour - Not sure of next steps

Comments

• Their on benefits. Tenants with Cornwal Council. Same as myself.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My advice,
    Less is more when it comes to forums (not all cases, but OMG definately this), remove irrelevant waffle and more people may read it.

OP I feel sorry for your situation. You've either got to move or wait it out until they move. I agree with other posters that being more concise might get more replies.
  • Jimmy_Boy wrote: »
    Their on benefits. Tenants with Cornwal Council. Same as myself.

Sound does travel in weird ways sometimes. We're on the top floor and I swear it sounds like someone's rolling a ball around up on the roof sometimes!

If your upstairs neighbours are nocturnal and they are hammering etc at silly o clock at night, they need to put a stop to it. Sadly you do get some misfits living in flats :(
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Really fed up with the noise now, 14 days as of now and got a cheeky note through my door earlier stating they are having a party tonight AS IS THEIR RIGHT TO DO.

Keeping their note as evidence but in retaliation have played heavy clubbing music at half my max volume full bass for 15 minutes lets see how she likes it, if she complains I will tell her I am having a party, AS IS MY RIGHT TO DO.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    If you feel the Council are not taking your complaints seriously and you're at your wits end with this, have you thought of writing to your MP? They are often pretty good at liaising with local councils and the fact that you've had to resort to your MP for help may force them to take your complaint more seriously.

However, if you go this route, I would write him/her a brief cover letter explaining you are desperate for the Council to step in and resolve this issue, and attach a sheet with actions you have taken listed in bullet points. This will make it easier for your MP to absorb than a long essay and make it easier to refer the issue to the council.

Good luck! You have my sympathy. Inconsiderate tenants are a nightmare.
  • Someone else mentioned to me about a Councillor / MP, but I have no idea of the protocol. ie do I contact Councillor first, then MP, vice versa, only one. I dont even know what Councillor I would contact and where I get their details, same applies for my MP. (feels dumb! lol)
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 February 2018 at 10:41PM
    Personally, I would go with the councillor first. They may be easier to get in contact with and will be able to put pressure on locally, quicker. They will maybe know the right officer to go to.

For my council, anyway, there is a list of councillors on their website

To find your MP

http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/
  • Should I go this route first, or should I visit the CAB first and seek advice from them?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Jimmy_Boy wrote: »
    Should I go this route first, or should I visit the CAB first and seek advice from them?

To be honest with the length of your OP and two threads running I am struggling a bit to keep up with it all.

If you came into my CAB, after all you have been through with the council, I suspect we would suggest you contact your councillor. However, it may well help you to sit down with someone face to face and go through it all. Forums like this can be extremely helpful but, sometimes a two way discussion helps to clarify.

They will, also, likely have a reasonable knowledge of the workings of your council.
  • Just move. You won't lose any money - you didn't earn the money you'll have to pay back, so just cut your losses. They're not doing anything wrong and it's making you miserable so just leave.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback