PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• silver-oldie
    Options
    purpleybat wrote: »
    I find any type of rice pudding freezes well, tho you may need to add a little extra milk when heating.

on the whole I use evaporated milk making rice pudding, I boil it briefly in plain water, discard that and add evaporated milk and top up with normal semi-skimmed if needed. it's hard to say without seeing the amount you're making, my brain doesn't compute weights of rice, I go by eye :D

hope this helps and isn't too late

Thank you.
    DH has Barrett's oesophagus and finds milk based food helps, having some frozen would be good if he can't wait 3 hours whilst I put it in sc. Also I don't like coconut rice pud but he loves it so we can both be happy
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if almond milk freezes? I've a friend coming round who is lacto-intolerant and she likes almond milk in her coffee. I've looked in the supermarket and it only seems to be available in quite large cartons so it looks as if there will be some left after her visit.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Does anyone know if almond milk freezes? I've a friend coming round who is lacto-intolerant and she likes almond milk in her coffee. I've looked in the supermarket and it only seems to be available in quite large cartons so it looks as if there will be some left after her visit.

Can't see any reason why it wouldn't freeze. But if you don't want to risk it then it makes amazing rice pudding! I actually buy Almond milk when I want to make rice pudding as I prefer it to my usual 1% milk!

I'm sure the rice pudding would freeze as well!

Denise
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I'll try the rice pudding-I like it made with coconut milk so am sure I'll like it with almond milk. I might try freezing a small amount of the milk to see how it turns out.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Haven’t been around for a couple of days because I was a bit ashamed of myself:o - we had another takeaway on Wednesday but it does do two days:) my menu plan has gone completely out of the window:eek: but got back on track tonight:T

Roast beef, roast potatoes, roasted fresh carrots & parsnips & frozen green beans (finished bag) + the last 3 frozen Yorkshire Puddings & DH made proper gravy:T it was delicious. The lo beef has been sliced - two person portion for dinner tomorrow & a two person portion put in freezer for Ron.
    As my DH made loads of gravy the beef slices, the 3 lo roasties & the lo Veggies have been added.

Today I also made a 2 litre pot of Stilton & Potato soup but added roasted paprika instead of black pepper. This is for lunch tomorrow but I will be attempting to freeze some. Tomorrow I will be making Stilton & bacon scones - cook 1/3 for lunch & then freeze the rest of the dough in two 1/3 portions.
    Tomorrow I will also be making choc chip biccies & peperonata which will go straight in the freezer.

Oh, I finished the last bit of double cream in a cup of coffee - talk about decadent:rotfl:

Thanks everyone for all the great recipes/bits of useful info etc.

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good morning chums ,well been a good and frugal week so far, and looks even better for next week. Tomorrow night I shall be using up my freebie main meal pub voucher.

I had two sent to me from different chains for my birthday as I have loyalty cards, and Friday night was fish'n'chip at the local Beefeater pub, and tomorrow night it will be something chickeny at the Brewers Fayre pub.
    I still have my Dobbies tea and cream scones voucher to use up before the end of the month as well :)

Tuesday nights meal will be at our pub quiz, so no cooking for me until Wednesday.

This morning I only have breakfast to make which will be probably scrambled eggs and coffee ,my normal Sunday morning breakfast, then at lunchtime DD and I are off to a baby shower for my DGD Katie ,her friend arranged it at a local hotel, and sandwiches, cakes and tea are all laid on.

I found a small piece of gammon in the back of the freezer forgotten all about, which I have defrosted. I am glad now the large bits of gammon were all sold out as I had forgotten all about the bit already in the freezer as it was tucked away behind something else. So that will be cooked in the slow cooker and sliced up. Mre than enough for several meals this week.

Hope we are all getting on OK with Frugal February :) its almost a year since I started the original thread which came about because I was wondering what to do about Lent.I decided that just giving up chocolate etc wasn't that hard so I would have a Love Food, Hate Waste Lent ,which evolved into almost a year :):):) instead of 6 weeks. How well its all grown, with so many folk following and having a go themselves. I am so pleased and well done to you all for your excellent feed backs and tips on streetching things out and using everything up that you can

Onwards and upwards chums, well done

JackieO xxx
  • silver-oldie
    Options
    Oh dear, just as it was going so well. I managed to empty the small freezer in the garage and turn it off and then I got sent money off supermarket voucher and I went shopping.
    I did buy food, no biscuits, cake or treats so pleased with that but didn't really need to buy anything.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well a second unexpected bill means that frugal February will be followed by miserly March. So I need to live out of the cupboards and freezer. Depending on how I feel later it will be either a dall with spinach and spicy mange tout or mushroom risotto. Buying some fresh mushrooms to go with the porcini won't break the bank and it's a lovely day for a long walk to the big supermarket in the next London 'village'.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Dinner tonight will be a sausage & bacon cassoulet. Everything from freezer, cupboards & veg basket. Sasuages & bacon from freezer; tinned tomatoes & beans from cupboard and onions & garlic from veg basket. Will add some frozen spinach and the last few mushrooms about an hour or so from the end to use up some more stuff before going on holiday at the end of the week.

Lunch is a Thai style butternut squash soup from the freezer.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    The pork spread sounds good - might have to pinch that one for when I have some LO roast pork!Denise
    crazytree wrote: »
    Another vote for the pork spread - I'd never have thought of doing something like that! Sounds really good.

I always do this with any small amounts of LO meat and just add whatever I think will go with it and depending on what I have in. So, for beef it would probably be onion, perhaps some finely chopped chilli pepper with horseradish or mustard; for lamb add chickpeas with chilli powder, mint and tomato puree; for pork then grated apple or apple sauce and maybe the odd bit of stuffing. I like to experiment and don't think I've had any major disasters (so far :D ).

We've had a very frugal week by continuing to use up freezer stocks and cupboard items as well as LOs that didn't get diverted to the freezer. I made a large custard tart and used the pastry trimmings for x6 mini beef, veg & rice pies baked in a muffin tray. The beef and veg was from the weekend's cottage pie base and the rice from Saturday's prawn curry, mixed together with some curry powder. They went down well at lunchtimes with a mug of hm tomato & red pepper soup. This week I'm making butterbean & lentil soup with added spices for a bit of oomph. Tasty, filling and economical.

I need to re-do my store cupboard inventories (a) to make sure they're up to date and (b) 'cos they're getting very messy :D . It shouldn't take as long this time as there's less in there than when I first did it. And I've realised a lot of the stuff I've been using up has been impulse buys, some of which I will buy again but a lot that I won't. ;)

Now I have some room in the freezer I can start batch cooking again for hm ready meals. Candidates this week are ys minced lamb (for moussaka), minced beef (for bolognaise sauce and chilli) and cheapy white fish fillets (for fishcakes). We also need to use up some salad-y stuff from the fridge; not really salad weather but needs must to avoid waste. :D Plenty of tinned fish to go with it too.

For dinner today we're having beef, onion & mushroom casserole. There will probably be some leftover for another day; if it's a small amount I can pad it out with extra veg and Yorkies or dumplings. :)

Belated birthday wishes Jackie _party_ sounds as if it was a good one!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure