PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Being a buggy user myself I'm always hyper cautious about not blocking exits etc (ten years in facilities management with full on health and safety training etc).

What I find really irritating is the frequency with which people never bother offering to hold the door for me. Don't get me wrong, I can always manage it myself, but currently being over seven months pregnant as well, a little assistance would be appreciated. One older woman happened to be on the same chazzer route as me the other week and she let the door shut on me in three shops in a row, then in the third shop started cooing over how cute my son was in the buggy!!
    And that's a whole new thread all on its own! :)
    I always hold doors for people - and say 'thanks' if someone does it for me.
    But the number of people who just breeze past when you do open the door for them is shocking - and saddening.
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    I was brought up to hold open doors for those less able and being 5'8 I often also offer to help people reach items up on high shelves as well....
    You'd be my best friend. :D

Just getting ready to go on my weekly trek round the shops (Aldi, Fultons, Iceland and Tesco) and charity shops (5) in the village.
    It usually takes me about 2-and-a-half hours.
    My little shopping trolley has done many miles along this route, I wish I'd had some sort of measuring device on it.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Polly - maybe you need a pedometer? I use on just to make sure I move enough! It can be very surprising how much or how little you move.
    As another tall one I often get items from top shelves and also those 'cupboards' over the tops of freezers.
    As a mum of two with a year between them (very grown up now) I've never forgotten what a struggle it can be with babies and tots so I will hold the door open etc. DH is always quick to help with buggies going down stairs etc.
    Off to my local hospice craft shop today. A local church is doing a waterfall of 6000 poppies and the ladies of my sailing club have been recruited! Need redxand black wool and some fabric too if I can find some.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    And then, and I can't quite believe I witnessed this, another woman walking around eating chips! In between stuffing chips in her mouth she was rifling through the clothes with greasy fingers....ick ick. Then she decided to try on a coat and so she asked a complete stranger to hold her chips...and the woman obliged!!! Wot is the world coming to? (Or am I completely out of sync these days?)

:rotfl: The woman was probably so shocked that she didn't know what to say.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would have asked “would madam like chips with that?” :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Artytarty wrote: »
    My weakness is the till, credit card transactions bringing on a cold sweat!

Local charity shop (Cancer Research) has had two dud £20 notes in a week.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    ...I always hold doors for people - and say 'thanks' if someone does it for me.
    But the number of people who just breeze past when you do open the door for them is shocking ...

If i have held a door open for someone who doesn't thank me, I say Thank you in a loud carrying voice ;):D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 6:14PM
    Options
    I will happily hold a door open for anyone, (it's just about being kind isn't it?), man/woman/child/old/young/disabled/able bodied - even been known to hold a door for a dog a few times too :D And then there was the time I held the door open in a major supermarket for a mouse.....it had been disturbed in the veggie section and made a dash for the door which was shut....but not for long!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Where I do find a stark difference is in those who are rude, pushy and grabby. My observation is that they often are not UK raised (that is not to say that all immigrants are rude, far from it. I think it!!!8217;s a behavioural aspect of life here that just hasn!!!8217;t registered as yet).

That kind of behaviour is rife here too.....I would have hesitated to comment on it myself, (foot in mouth syndrome!), but you put it so well!

I would have been too! I remember, yonks ago, when smoking was acceptable everywhere being asked by someone in a shop to hold a cigarette whilst they got their purse out. I have always had a phobia about smoking and all it's apparatus and just could not touch a cigarette....I ran out of the shop and burt into tears :(
    Local charity shop (Cancer Research) has had two dud £20 notes in a week.
    I've just realised I was given three old pound coins in my change yesterday from the chazza shop....I'm sure it was a mistake and I should have noticed at the time. Oh well, will have to put them in a charity box somewhere :o
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Artytarty wrote: »
    My weakness is the till, credit card transactions bringing on a cold sweat!

I hated using tils in all my retail/bar/cafe jobs, so I'm always patient when volunteers struggle with them.

On the subject of fake £20s, we had an old Elgar (out of circulation since 2007) given to a collection for a retiring colleagure recently.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Miro I use one of those for trolleys ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • GreenBitterfly
    Options
    The volunteers at my local Scope Charity shop are lovely, which part of the reason I take donations there. They also have a sensible pricing policy which makes me more willing to donate items to them.

Anyone here from the Kirklees area?, apparently there's going to be a new Mencap Charity shop opening in Dewsbury. The local population on the local area Facebook group aren't happy about another charity shop opening, but it's somewhere else for me to browse for books and DVDs!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure