Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik

Options

Comments

• Paul_O_2
    Options
    I signed up with Tonik last September and the process was pretty slick. Nothing not to like until I realised in November that my meter readings for electricity were being ignored and I wasn't being billed correctly. I've been trying since that time to get the situation corrected but I simply get apologies and promises to 'get back to you as soon as we know more'.
    I have no idea what my correct account balance should be, my meter readings are still being ignored, and no one is getting back to me....
  • Andrewzy
    Options
    I've just been attempting to switch my elderly parents-in-law onto another supplier via the Cheap Energy Club.

The club comparison page suggested that they could save over £300 a year. When I went to the Tonik website they quoted a saving of £50.00 a year based on the same data.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has come across similar problems with the Cheap Energy Club estimates.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Andrewzy wrote: »
    I've just been attempting to switch my elderly parents-in-law onto another supplier via the Cheap Energy Club.

The club comparison page suggested that they could save over £300 a year. When I went to the Tonik website they quoted a saving of £50.00 a year based on the same data.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has come across similar problems with the Cheap Energy Club estimates.

I have just checked my postcode and usage on Tonik's website and MSE CEC. Both give me an annual cost of £392 per year. There are a number of reasons why the savings may be different: the important thing to check is how much your parents-in-law are paying today(based on tariff and kWhs NOT monthly £DDs) and compare it with the cost for 12 months on Tonik.

FWiW, they are not the cheapest supplier (I am excluding those with poor feedback).
  • dadsgoneshopping
    Options
    I have tried to switch to Tonik, but they ignore my emails. I has a confirmation in January, but nothing since then- Tried calling emailing- Last chance today- if it is not resolved , then I am going to email them and cancel and then switch to someone else- very unhappy with their poor customer service.
  • Maxdan39
    Options
    I joined Tonik in December 2017 after moving house the previous month. The switch went smoothly and everything was fine for the first couple of weeks until I encountered an issue gaining access to the site to view my account and update my meter readings. I telephoned and gave the readings and was assured the problem was a server error their end and it would be resolved quickly. Two weeks later and still can't access the site and have not received a bill. I did an online chat and although they apologised they didn't appear to know about any issues. As it's no cost to leave them and there is a collective available, I am looking elsewhere.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    My join date with Tonik is 15th Feb. Some murmorings of issues? Any member with NO problems? Just checking...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • ColinB
    ColinB Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 12:23PM
    Options
    My fixed tariff with Flow ends in May, so I used the Cheap Energy Club (CEC) to survey the market. Tonik came up as a possibility. Went to their website and got a quote from them. To my surprise they predicted annual savings over twice what CEC predicted (£244 vs £112). My manual estimates were roughly in agreement with the CEC figure. So I used chat to ask why and didn't get a clear reply. The best they could offer was that their quote system might (chat agent wasn't sure) be comparing their cost with what I would be paying when my fix ends (even though that's still several months away), rather than with what I am actually paying (which is what CEC does). I can see the logic of doing that, but it's not clearly stated on their website, and could be quite misleading for anyone not looking too closely.

Another pitfall of trying to compare prices & predicted savings, just thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: After posting above, I've just seen Andrewzy's post:
    Andrewzy wrote: »

Might be the same reason ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ColinB wrote: »
    My fixed tariff with Flow ends in May, so I used the Cheap Energy Club (CEC) to survey the market. Tonik came up as a possibility. Went to their website and got a quote from them. To my surprise they predicted annual savings over twice what CEC predicted (£244 vs £112). My manual estimates were roughly in agreement with the CEC figure. So I used chat to ask why and didn't get a clear reply. The best they could offer was that their quote system might (chat agent wasn't sure) be comparing their cost with what I would be paying when my fix ends (even though that's still several months away), rather than with what I am actually paying (which is what CEC does). I can see the logic of doing that, but it's not clearly stated on their website, and could be quite misleading for anyone not looking too closely.

Another pitfall of trying to compare prices & predicted savings, just thought I'd mention it.

After posting above, I've just seen Andrewzy's post:

Might be the same reason ?

i think that i can say with a high degree of certainty that the savings are inaccurate due to Ofgem's inflated cost methodology and the fact that PCWs, such as MSE CEC, now include cash back in the annual cost quote ( where it applies). Clearly, this does not apply to the cost shown on a supplier's website although some suppliers will mention a credit if a referral link is used.

The inflated cost methodology is based on 'x' months left on present fixed tariff +_ '12-X' months on SVT. Savings = Inflated cost - latest tariff. It follows that you can pay more AND save.
  • Rod_H_2
    Options
    Thank you for correcting the calculations & recomendations, The comparison site underestimated the savings of using Tonik. I was suprised it had fallen from top of league to way down your recommendations.

Your Energy Saving Club was showing Tonik as ~21st in your list of recommendations for my usage and location earlier this week. There was an error in your calculations - the £40 discount for dual fuel was not included, therefore savings were £40 down.

Consequently, I calculated the actual savings and can confirm that the revised recommendations as of 2nd Feb 2017 are now reflect the actual savings.
  • Dave-M_2
    Options
    Warning - All is not as it seems
    I have just transferred to Tonik on what I believed was a 12 month contract, but now find the contract started on the date I signed up, not on the date the supply started. Price comparison sites including Which? indicate that the Tonik contract starts on the supply date, however Tonik disagree and will not amend the date.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback