Scooter deck has developed a crack. Can't get replaced under warranty.

Options
Hi, I bought my son a scooter for his birthday in July this year. The scooter deck has developed two cracks either side of the rear wheel.

I've taken the scooter back to the shop who contacted their distributor to see if the deck could be replaced under warranty. I've been informed that the distributor will not replace the deck.

As the scooter is meant for doing tricks and jumps etc. Am I still covered under the Consumer Rights Act.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    hullborn wrote: »
    Hi, I bought my son a scooter for his birthday in July this year. The scooter deck has developed two cracks either side of the rear wheel.

I've taken the scooter back to the shop who contacted their distributor to see if the deck could be replaced under warranty. I've been informed that the distributor will not replace the deck.

As the scooter is meant for doing tricks and jumps etc. Am I still covered under the Consumer Rights Act.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne.

You could be if the scooter was built in such a way that this damage was always going to occur due to it being poorly built. If it is within the first 6 months the retailer needs to prove that it was down to misuse of the scooter. (You said you bought it for his birthday in July, but what date did you actually buy the scooter?)

This is totally different to your warranty with the manufacturer, which can have any caveats it likes.
  • hullborn
    Options
    I bought the scooter on the 10th July but it's been with the retails for 2 weeks while they have been waiting for the distributor to get back to them.

So the retailer, not the distributor have the responsibility for replacing the deck?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hullborn wrote: »
    I bought the scooter on the 10th July but it's been with the retails for 2 weeks while they have been waiting for the distributor to get back to them.

So the retailer, not the distributor have the responsibility for replacing the deck?

Read post 2 again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport