PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Really enjoying everyone's input in this thread, although our family has been struck down with the winter vomiting virus :( so I have not had a great deal of time to read every comment. I seem to be the only one who hasn't caught it.........yet:eek:

"I seem to be the only one who hasn't caught it" - Your doomed! :eek: I would move into the shed with a bottle of Dettol :)

Hope you all get better soon - an awful thing to have.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Ultimately, there isn't a right way to do simplicity, there's a right level of simplicity for each of us. We'll know when we hit the sweet spot.
    Well said. Being a person of very low self-esteem, I for one have to watch that I don't feel like I've failed because someone else is living a "simpler" life than I am.
    Thank you! Great ideas! I think the main thing should be our mental health! No more stress, no more overworking. Just let's love ourselves!
    Again, well said. Loving myself is something I've never gotten the hang of.
    I've read articles and blogs about zero waste with interest, but I think for most of us it's just not practical.
    I agree; I try not to buy anything with extraneous packaging, but sometimes when someone, for instance, sends you something through the post, you have no control over how it's packed.
    Btw, what does everyone do with the contents of their vacuum cleaner? Mine consists of roughly 50% household dust and 50% dog hair from my various canine guests; and I can see nothing else for it but to bin it.

Simple Living virus-begone vibes to your family; hope you manage to avoid catching it.

Today's simple pleasure: half-an-hour of quality time with Daisy Dog before her owners came to collect her (she's been with me while they were on holiday) stroking her, getting out the last bits of loose hair so that she goes home tidy (she's a Shiba Inu cross, and sheds extremely fine "filaments" of hair in little tufts) and receiving back that unique type of love that only a dog can give.:D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :)LameWolf (can I just say I LOVE your sigline and always have?) I have read that household dander contains a fair bit of synthetics from textiles such as carpets, upholstery, clothing etc and also contaminants from pavement which we've tracked in from our shoes and, in my case, my wally trolley's wheels. And that it isn't recommended for composting for those reasons. But dog hair is very compostable.

:o I must admit to being a bit of a ZH house (the Johnsons' house) groupie as I love the look of that woman's home. Couldn't aspire to it in a million years, I spend my life in earth tones and natural handy-crafty fibres, but I love the clean and uncluttered lines.

Yeah, they'll always be someone who lives with two changes of clothes, a few choice high-end electonics and who blogs (or brags) about their location independant lifestyle and is constantly moving around the planet. I find myself wondering if they have any family members and what dear old mum or dad or their granny thinks of never seeing them unless via skype?

That can look superficially exciting but I've long since come the conclusion that I'm a homebody with a deep sense of attachment to places such as this quaint and ancient city. I like the feel of 1500 years' worth of settlement under my feet. Plus the 9,000 y.o. flint tools I find up on the allotment. They're still pretty damned sharp, too.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)LameWolf (can I just say I LOVE your sigline and always have?) I have read that household dander contains a fair bit of synthetics from textiles such as carpets, upholstery, clothing etc and also contaminants from pavement which we've tracked in from our shoes and, in my case, my wally trolley's wheels. And that it isn't recommended for composting for those reasons. But dog hair is very compostable.
    Oh indeed, what I brush out of them and collect as "pure dog hair" is composted or put out for bird nest lining etc; but I can't separate the huge amount that I vacuum up off the carpets from the rest of the household grot. :o The squirrels got some super-duper drey lining this week; as I mentioned, Daisy sheds in tufts, and it's extremely fine stuff, and I'd imagine, very warm.:o
    My next guest doesn't shed much (long-haired JRT) but I have one coming in January (Golden Lab) who leaves a little "puddle" of yellow hair wherever she sits; even when brushed regularly. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 December 2017 at 9:47PM
    Options
    I read a tip somewhere about collecting fluff from a tumble dryer, stuffing it into the tube from a toilet roll and using it as a firelighter. Don’t know if household dust will work, though.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I learned that from GQ years ago nargle, it's probably been from 'er! ;):D

Urine? Does anyone use their urine as fertiliser for fruit and veggie growing. It occurred to me that I'll happily feed my soil my rabbits wee wee and lead me to think about my freebie offerings. What do you think?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently male pee is an excellent compost activator - but I have no clue why it's better than she-wee
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Well if it's because in my house DH sits a lot so the urine has time to mature, whilst I'm running around the whole time my urine gets jiggled about a lot. Plus I think he can hold a lot more than me due to the three DS's I gave birth to.x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe also hormonal ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options