DFS Sofa - would't fit up the stairs

Options
My SO and I ordered a corner sofa from DFS, when we ordered it we stated that we live in a 1st floor flat and we think that getting the sofa in may be a problem. The Salesman said "its the delivery drivers job they'll get it in, even if they have to take the sofa apart". So in confidence that there will be no problems we went ahead and ordered the sofa.

So a month later the sofa is being delivered and surprise surprise, it won't fit up the stairs, the delivery was labeled as "would not fit"(because the model we ordered doesn't come to pieces on delivery). So now we're having to hope that someone orders the same sofa, or we will have to PAY DFS to take the sofa back!

Now I feel as if we shouldn't have to pay DFS to take the sofa back as we made them aware beforehand and they still allowed us to order a sofa that doesn't fit. I was hoping someone could help me with some advice on what to do now. Especially as we now have no sofa for christmas.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    What does your paperwork say, did the salesman give a written guarantee it would fit? What did he say when you notified them of the problem?
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Parkinator
    Options
    I rang them straight after and they told us we have to wait a few days to see if someone orders the exact same sofa as us and they'll just allocate it to them and we can choose another, if not we will have to pay them a settlement fee for them to take the sofa back and sell it then we can choose another model.

The salesman then tried to make it our fault by saying we should have told them about the narrow tight corners of the stairs, I wouldn't say the corners are tight nor narrow, and we stressed this to him at the time of ordering and he said the sofa would come to pieces for delivery which it didn't.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid the responsibility was yours to ensure that you had adequate space to get this sofa into your home before placing a bespoke order.

Unless you have a written guarantee that it would fit, I'd say you'll just have to accept the fee they charge to uplift it or hope that someone else orders the same suite.

In future, rely on a tape measure rather than a salesman's word.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I'm afraid the responsibility was yours to ensure that you had adequate space to get this sofa into your home before placing a bespoke order.

Unless you have a written guarantee that it would fit, I'd say you'll just have to accept the fee they charge to uplift it or hope that someone else orders the same suite.

In future, rely on a tape measure rather than a salesman's word.

If the salesman said it would come apart to get up the stairs and it doesnt i would say it was missold

of course proving it is another matter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    If the salesman said it would come apart to get up the stairs and it doesnt i would say it was missold
    He'll obviously deny that he said that..
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options

Still doesnt make it the OPs fault.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Hence the 2nd line of that post ... which you neglected to include in the quote. ;)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The issue is entirely DFS's problem and you are entitled to a refund. I'd give them hell, threaten court action, visit their shops to warn other customers about their illegal practices, and generally make it "in their best interests" to fulfil their obligations to you.

They may initially be reluctant, but if they think that you are costing them lost sales, or taking up their salesmen's time, it will be cheaper for them to collect the sofa and give you a refund.

I see DFS have an 0800 number -- you could repeatedly call it a dozen times a day, insisting on a refund each time, demanding that the call be properly logged, and keeping a tally of the number of hours you have spent on the phone. You should be able to estimate their call charges -- so let them know each time you speak to them how much you have cost them already, and that you will call back every hour until they issue a refund. Also estimate the costs of handling the call (usually around £5 to £10). Don't forget to withhold your Caller ID when you call. And call from a mobile if you can as it costs them more.

Be very polite, but absolutely resolute that there is nothing to negotiate. They need to collect the sofa and give you a refund or you will continue to cost them money.

That technique has worked very well for me in the past. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure