PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax question

Options
Hello, next year (September 2018) I will be moving in to a flat with 2 fellow students. My girlfriend, an Argentine living in Spain, is going to spend a gap year living with me before going back to Spain to begin university. I am wondering if this would affect our council tax situation, given that a house of students wouldn't pay any at all. If she is here temporarily and has another main residence (albeit abroad) would we still have to pay?

Thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, next year (September 2018) I will be moving in to a flat with 2 fellow students. My girlfriend, an Argentine living in Spain, is going to spend a gap year living with me before going back to Spain to begin university. I am wondering if this would affect our council tax situation, given that a house of students wouldn't pay any at all. If she is here temporarily and has another main residence (albeit abroad) would we still have to pay?

Thanks
    How is she coming over, what's her visa category?
  • helpplsmane
    Options
    She's an EU resident with joint Argentine and Spanish citizenship.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She's an EU resident with joint Argentine and Spanish citizenship.
    ah, in that case yes you'd be liable for council tax (with a 25% discount)
  • helpplsmane
    Options
    So we have to pay 75% council tax on a household with 25% liable to pay?
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would have to pay 75% of the normal council tax rate. There is a discount of 25% when only one person is liable (your partner).
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 4:08PM
    Options
    So we have to pay 75% council tax on a household with 25% liable to pay?
    ? the household would comprise 4 people, but 3 of them appear to qualify as students, and so are technically called "disregards"

4 - 3 = 1
    so for tax purposes there is one person resident in the property and therefore "you" can claim a 25% single person discount.

100% - 25% = 75%
    "you" would have to pay 75% of the full council tax charge

how !"you" decide to share out 75% of the bill across 4 people is a matter for you to [STRIKE]argue[/STRIKE] debate. I suspect your flatmates won't be too keen on having to pay for your GF when they themselves would not pay a penny o their own
  • helpplsmane
    helpplsmane Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 4:10PM
    Options
    This country

Just messing, works out about £450. Thanks very much everyone.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This country
    yes, this "free" health service, this "free" fire service, these "free" roads, this "free" waste disposal service.

this freedom to live where you want
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    works out about £450.

£450 for 75% CT for a year, you must live in a very cheap area, Band A where I live is over £1100 before discount
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • helpplsmane
    Options
    Band C in South West London
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills