benefits & winning money

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    skcollo wrote: »
    She should pay it all back, its fraud pure and simple.

Here's another who got away with fraud, and continues to claim to this very day.

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/scratchcard-winner-admits-fraud-charges/story-21482854-detail/story.html
    It amazes me we have a system so abused, day in day out, and (it seems)
    nothing more than a light tap on the wrist, then back to claiming.
    ? How did she "get away with it", since she got caught, paid it all back, and presumably got a sentence on top of that. And how do you know she continues to claim benefits - this news item is from 15 YEARS ago!

If people commit fraud then fine, they should indeed be dealt with accordingly. But this does not happen day in and day out, the system is not "so abused" but rather a very few people abuse it, and the outcomes are a lot more than a tap on the wrist and carry on claiming. You have been reading the Sun or the Mail too long.
  • calleyw wrote: »
    I have never earned 19K in a year. And still had to pay a mortgage and all bills associated with a house. Run a car and pay for all my prescriptions etc.

£19k is a lot of money and don't forget that it was tax free as well. So to spend £1583 a month is a lot of money for a single person who does not work. And getting their rent and council tax paid. As well as free prescriptions and free dental work.

As I said before the OP's mother needs to get on to the family members who she has given money to and tell them she needs it back. And the reasons why.

Yours

Calley

When you put it like this, it makes me feel sick.
  • Looks like she's blown it anyway, £19k in six months.

I admit it does look suspicious that it is in your account.

Really, no-one knows what will happen. But I would imagine she will have to pay at least some of it back.

It is suspicious and I can't believe that the OP thinks that any one would fall for the "I didn't know" line.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    It's irrelevant to the money that will be taken back - it is relevant to the comments from people who thought the mother had been living the high life through spending such a lot of money in a short time.

I don't care how the mother spent it.

It makes me sick that we go to work and pay our taxes to support people who need help and they see nothing wrong in claiming benefits when they have £19,000 of their own money to spend as they please.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    skcollo wrote: »
    I "know" what happened in that case.
    I have no interest in you and your neighbours.....................unless you, or your neighbours scam a system I am forced to pay into.
    What you think of me is of no consequence to me, at all.
    Disney is a member of the benefit underclass, I didnt accuse anyone else of being a member of the benefit underclass, just that they exist, and there are millions more. Sorry if I touched a nerve.
    Thanks, but the only nerve that you touched is the one that reacts to entitled snobs. There are not millions of people stealing money from the benefits system. There are people not claiming the benefit money they are entitled to. Judging millions of benefit claimants by the actions of one person is prejudice. And by the way, I have no idea who or what you are, but I can guarantee you one thing - I pay far more into the system than you do! This is not about one or two people who are thieves. They exist at all levels in society. They should be, and are dealt with by the courts. The fact that you would prefer the courts to act differently is irrelevant to the specific crime. The fact that you are tarring benefit claimants generally for the actions of one person is the whole point. Let's hope that you never end up having to claim benefits and being treated as an "underclass" the way that you treat others.
  • skcollo
    skcollo Posts: 693 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 9:30AM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Thanks, but the only nerve that you touched is the one that reacts to entitled snobs. There are not millions of people stealing money from the benefits system. There are people not claiming the benefit money they are entitled to. Judging millions of benefit claimants by the actions of one person is prejudice. And by the way, I have no idea who or what you are, but I can guarantee you one thing - I pay far more into the system than you do! This is not about one or two people who are thieves. They exist at all levels in society. They should be, and are dealt with by the courts. The fact that you would prefer the courts to act differently is irrelevant to the specific crime. The fact that you are tarring benefit claimants generally for the actions of one person is the whole point. Let's hope that you never end up having to claim benefits and being treated as an "underclass" the way that you treat others.
    There is an underclass of "entitled" benefit claimants, they number millions, its hardly my fault you dont know about them.
    So far on this thread, I have judged two people, and stated my belief that there are millions more, I know in an average size town how many are "at it" screwing the system you so nobly fund it is no great leap to assume what goes on where I live isnt replicated across the UK.
    Millions of them.
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    She may have to reconsider her ability to work, as no income will be forthcoming from the state until this runs its course.
    :eek:
  • C'mon Sangie. Even you must have your doubts?

Mother gives daughter 19k to hide? Continues drawing her bennies.
  • skcollo wrote: »
    There is an underclass of "entitled" benefit claimants, they number millions, its hardly my fault you dont know about them.
    So far on this thread, I have judged two people, and stated my belief that there are millions more, I know in an average size town how many are "at it" screwing the system you so nobly fund it is no great leap to assume what goes on where I live isnt replicated across the UK.
    Millions of them.

:eek:

I totally agree with you and I cannot believe that someone has said that there are not millions of people stealing (defrauding) money rom the benefits system.

In the not so distant past, people used to be ashamed about accepting money or help even when they were desperate and really needed it.

Nowadays there are a lot of people who are very entitled.

A lot of people who rightfully claim benefits when they are single parents or during a period of illness start to feel that they are entitled to that money no matter what.

Even when they move in with a new partner or go back to work, they don't really see why they should give-up that benefits income.

A lady who lives locally was claiming ESA as a single parent and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

However when her new partner "moved in" she took great pleasure in telling people how much better off she was going to be financially.

As her partner has a NMW job, I asked her how and she had no qualms in telling me that because didn't want to sponge off of her new partner, she was going to keep on claiming and it would be so easy for her to do as her new partner was going to use his parent's home as his official address for payslips and driving licences, etc.

She added that if her partner didn't move in then she would get the benefit money so you said "what difference does it make if he does move in?"

So as a family, they now have the income from his job and yet she still gets ESA, CTC, CB, HB and full CTS.

It is sickening isn't it??
  • I totally agree with you and I cannot believe that someone has said that there are not millions of people stealing (defrauding) money rom the benefits system.

In the not so distant past, people used to be ashamed about accepting money or help even when they were desperate and really needed it.

Nowadays there are a lot of people who are very entitled.

A lot of people who rightfully claim benefits when they are single parents or during a period of illness start to feel that they are entitled to that money no matter what.

Even when they move in with a new partner or go back to work, they don't really see why they should give-up that benefits income.

A lady who lives locally was claiming ESA as a single parent and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

However when her new partner "moved in" she took great pleasure in telling people how much better off she was going to be financially.

As her partner has a NMW job, I asked her how and she had no qualms in telling me that because didn't want to sponge off of her new partner, she was going to keep on claiming and it would be so easy for her to do as her new partner was going to use his parent's home as his official address for payslips and driving licences, etc.

She added that if her partner didn't move in then she would get the benefit money so you said "what difference does it make if he does move in?"

So as a family, they now have the income from his job and yet she still gets ESA, CTC, CB, HB and full CTS.

It is sickening isn't it??

There are 2 types of ESA benefit:

Contribution Based ESA:

meaning the person is a beneficiary of that benefit e.g. Has worked and paid into the system and has enough paid national insurance stamps and is entitled if disabled or illness strikes to claim such.

These people mostly do not get means tested help e.g. Pay for full rent, CT prescriptions dental treatment etc. If they have a partner or an inheritance or similar their money is not affected.

Income based ESA:

These people may be have never worked due to illness from childhood or others never worked due to not wanting to, or long term unemployed. If on income based they get all the HB CT free prescriptions and dental and opticians benefits.

On top of all this either type can have half a dozen kids and then receive extra benefits. Even people who work nowadays get benefits. But just because people are on these benefits, the majority of them are not fiddling the system.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    All this and the OP hasn't returned to post anything since just after the first post...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure