Royal Mail - lose your credit card receipt - lose your property and your rights?

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ...no separate receipt given to me.
    I lost my POS card payment receipt as I stated - this happens - responders so far seem to believe that they are beyond these errors...
    My argument is - in these circs we should STILL be able to request a duplicate receipt or at least rely on the local post office keeping these basic records for a few days in order that the lost data can be retrieved.
    If readers here still feel that this is an unreasonable expectation and that their lives are so perfectly organised and the concept of actually misplacing or losing a single card payment receipt is so alien then please share your life tips. I would love to have the ability to predict when I am about to misplace or lose items.

I would argue in the main,a few days would be pointless.
    You needed it after a week or so,most often (from posts here) its longer.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    I guess you have not yet realised that Royal Mail and the Post Office are two separate companies.

Really not much point in complaining to Royal Mail Customer Services about your perceived failings of another company.

..well yes actually. The Royal Mail are actually delivering the item - the post office take the payment on their behalf.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ..well yes actually. The Royal Mail are actually delivering the item - the post office take the payment on their behalf.

Yup and your issue is with not keeping a copy of the tracking no.
    How would you like RM to have contacted you after you posted it to give that information?
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The tracking numbers are all consecutive. Did you post anything else that day?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • If a customer can provide proof of payment (bank statement), can provide details of when and where posted and the card used to make the payment it does show a failing in basic traceability record-keeping from an organisation where you expect traceability to be its ethos. As far as I am aware I am not entering a lottery when I am customer of the Post Office - the concept that a tracking reference number is printed exclusively on that single piece of paper smacks of the same mentality.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Why should the Post Office keep a record if you didn't think it necessary to do so.

When i post a parcel the receipt goes in my purse, as do other receipts.

They get checked that they are no longer needed and tossed out after a few months usually, sometimes linger.

Important ones for products that are under guarantee etc get filed away.
  • I assume you have have the same non-sympathetic attitude in following scenario:
    You go to a high street retailer and pay for a product that they have to order into stock for you with a view to you collecting few days later.

You lose the receipt.

You go to store, with card used to pay, bank statement showing payment etc but they tell you they have no record of the transaction because they purge their sales records on a daily basis.
    You are told you cannot have the item because you do not have the original receipt.

Is this your perception of the the retail industry?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If readers here still feel that this is an unreasonable expectation and that their lives are so perfectly organised and the concept of actually misplacing or losing a single card payment receipt is so alien then please share your life tips. I would love to have the ability to predict when I am about to misplace or lose items.

I do find it unreasonable for someone expect a company or in fact anyone else to hold their hand and do everything for them. As for perfectly organised, that is far from me, I tend to be quite chatotic with my management of things and I'm always misplacing things. However knowing how bad I am at such things I take a photo on my phone or a screenshot of anything important like this. My phone is set to automatic back up so even if I lost it I would still have the photos of important receipts and such. People used to scan all receipts to their computers, other people have a dedicated place to keep them and only go through them periodically. None of that makes a perfectly organised person but it does make someone who takes reasonable responsibility for their own lives and actions.

I would also argue that a reasonable person would not have expected a package to arrive in another country in just a week, thus shredding the receipt. Unless I've been told something I've sent has been received I would check the tracking myself regularly until it either shows as delivered or goes over the maximum timeframe, you waited for the recipient to contact you instead of being proactive and properly managing things yourself before destroying your only evidence of sending.

There really is only one person at fault here, and being a nightmare customer spending 45 minutes arguing with their customer services for your own mistake shows you as the idiot and not them.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    waamo wrote: »
    For anybody who wants a condensed version: The OP chucked their slip of paper containing their Post Office tracking number away. The parcel is now missing and the Post Office can't retrieve a tracking number.

I think that covers it.

From a poster who calls himself captain sensible
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I assume you have have the same non-sympathetic attitude in following scenario:
    You go to a high street retailer and pay for a product that they have to order into stock for you with a view to you collecting few days later.

You lose the receipt.

You go to store, with card used to pay, bank statement showing payment etc but they tell you they have no record of the transaction because they purge their sales records on a daily basis.
    You are told you cannot have the item because you do not have the original receipt.

Is this your perception of the the retail industry?

Do you make a habit of losing "stuff". If someone handed you a £50 note I bet you would look after it and not shred it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure