New car purcahse. Must I collect same month as sale?

Hi,

Looking for some guidance for buying a car please.

I put a deposit down on a used car at the weekend, no collection date was agreed. It was floated collecting the car this week but that isn't possible now for personal reasons, at the time the dealer said "whenever you want".

I've since checked insurance and it is £170 more expensive to get the car this week than it would be on the 2nd July. I phoned my insurer and they were candid enough to say "we know you are desperate if you need a policy this soon".

I've asked to collect the car 2nd of July and the seller has told me they must get rid of the car the same month that they sell it. Is this a standard policy?

Thoughts please?
Thanks!

Comments

• ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It is quite fair for the garage to want the car sold and off their property as it is their money tied up in the car.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    it will be down to monthly sales targets the want the sale completed by the end of june so it goes into this months sales figures

I Was once told that as long as the deal was complete and paid for by the end of the month the dealer would hold the car a couple of days so i could collect at the beginning of the next month, the downside of this is they tax the car in the month of sale so i would have lost a months tax
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It'll be due to a sales person trying to hit target for the month as they wont lose the funding on the vehicle until they have taken it off funding which should be on the day it goes out.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can leave your car at somebody else's premises for as long as they allow you to.
    The vendor may prefer it if you paid for your car in full sooner rather than later.

Yes, buying insurance at short notice is expensive. I fell foul of this last year, changing cars. However, remember that you have 14 days to cancel the policy from receiving the paperwork... I took out a second policy to start a week or so after purchase, then cancelled the first one for a full pro-rata refund, and made very sure I told them why when I did so.

If insurers are going to take the Michael, I'm quite happy to return the favour.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    How about insuring it from the last day in June and collecting it then?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If your insurance company are really taking the Micky you can get day insurance to drive it away. Alternatively many dealers provide drive away insurance so it might be worth asking if your dealer does this
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    force_ten wrote: »
    it will be down to monthly sales targets the want the sale completed by the end of june so it goes into this months sales figures

I Was once told that as long as the deal was complete and paid for by the end of the month the dealer would hold the car a couple of days so i could collect at the beginning of the next month, the downside of this is they tax the car in the month of sale so i would have lost a months tax

It would also be quarter end for them, hence its probably v important to them.
  • Hi Everyone,

What an efficient bunch you are - thanks!

I too had thought it may be down to sales targets but when does customer service win? I can also appreciate they want a sold car off their property. Would the sale not be counted for July targets anyway?

If I take a drive away / one day insurance to use the policy from 2 July onwards it would then sit un-insured in an open car park for two weeks. I'd rather they kept it secure until it's insured by me.

* wgl2014 - The price difference between Friday 30 June and Monday 3 July is still +£170. Eeek!!
    * force ten - this would be the ideal scenario. It will be cheaper for one month road tax to expire than the £170 premium price.

All further thoughts welcome!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    .......from 2 July onwards it would then sit un-insured in an open car park for two weeks. I'd rather they kept it secure until it's insured by me.......

All further thoughts welcome!
    If the car park you have in mind is open to the public then you would need to insure it,

Have you done a full search of the insurance market to see if you can get a cheaper premium?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Had a dealer trying to push us to take the car away before the end of the month. But the insurance was not up until the 4th and no way were we paying admin fees and change of vehicle for 10 days, also losing a months tax although thats a piddly amount.

We dont want to collect until the 4th, they tried to offer us driveaway insurance but being a young driver the insurance declined to cover.

Offered to pay in full before the end of the month but collect on the 4th. But it need to be taxed and gone. Bye...

Next car on the list...
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure