painting the inside of a microwave oven

Options

Comments

• aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would have a fire extinguisher handy the first time you use it afterwards, just in case there is a build-up of fumes inside.

Don't they sometimes make things differently in the USA? I think their regulations, manufacture etc are likely to be rather different from ours - so maybe it's fine to paint the inside of a US microwave?
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    27col wrote: »
    I would think that appliance paint is intended for use on the outside of an appliance.

Meh, as long as its an acrylic enamel then its the same stuff they paint at the factory. That's why I advised they check the compound of the paint.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The question is a joke, eh? :p
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • DevCoder
    Options
    Why?

Although I wouldn't do it myself as

1) I would be concerned that I wouldn't still get the right paint despite research and
    2) My painting resembles that of throwing an entire tin of paint at the surface and hoping some sticks

There is no reason why you couldn't respray the inside surface of a microwave.

People seem to be under the misconception that a microwave will produce heat, it will only heat things which have moisture in them. If the paint is fully cured and is not water based (and not base oil either) then the microwave wont heat it.

I'd assume the OP has a paint spray atomiser given he refurbishes old cars.

Still wouldn't do it though, but it is possible ;)
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    People seem to be under the misconception that a microwave will produce heat, it will only heat things which have moisture in them. If the paint is fully cured and is not water based (and not base oil either) then the microwave wont heat it.

I think you are under the misconception that we don't know that.......we all do , we just still think is not on.

Spend £10 and refurbish?????? an old microwave when for a very little more you could have a new model which would last years.

The idea is still stupid and NOT price justified.
  • DevCoder
    Options
    The people who seem to think it will give off fumes obviously aren't aware, if there is no moisture then there is no heat, thus there is no fumes. Also the latex primer and acrylic paint is whats used in a factory so why would there be "fumes" or need for an extinguisher?

The idea may well be "stupid" and Ive said I certainly wouldn't do it but it's not impossible.

If it was a fitted unusual sized expensive microwave then I could see the attraction of redoing a paint finish if I had the knowledge and tools to do so.

The question was raised, is it possible, the answer is yes as described by a few. The OP can then make his/her mind up as to whether it is sensible or price justified.
  • Perfect10_2
    Options
    I don't think it's a stupid idea, am rather interested in replies as my microwave is losing its paint under the turntable plate. Not only does it look a mess but seems like rust is starting to appear. Microwave is only a couple of years old and if I can repaint for a fiver I would rather do that than replace a perfectly working microwave...
    Looking for the sunshine after the rain :cool:

Dealing with debt £1800 paid / £1800 cc :j
    Now aiming to be mortgage free...figures to follow ;)
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    I think you are under the misconception that we don't know that.......we all do , we just still think is not on.

Spend £10 and refurbish?????? an old microwave when for a very little more you could have a new model which would last years.

The idea is still stupid and NOT price justified.

How do you know that the OP can afford a new microwave?
    Not everyone can afford to throw away stuff and buy new (like you) just because of a small issue.

Last years? not blooming likely.

Electrical equipment life is getting shorter and shorter as they are getting cheaper and cheaper to make (yet the price still goes up).

Repairing electrical equipment is NOT stupid, we would replace elements in conventional ovens, jets on gas ovens, heaters in tumble driers, thermocouples in combi boilers et all.
    So repairing another piece of equipment is not stupid - its sensible especially when there are NO negative efects when done correctly.

Clean and dry the area, prime, paint with a few thin coats, leave to dry (48hrs at least).

This will give a coating of only a few microns thick, not a blobby lump of paint.

The first use should be done using something like a jug of water etc.

And STILL - NO ONE has given anything other than urban myth type reasons for not doing it.

My own microwave cost me about £45 from Asda 2 years ago, the turntable has worn away the paint underneath it and guess what I will be doing with it. (not getting a new one for starters.)
  • borim
    borim Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Am all for it - actually planning to do the same - did it work out
    Was thinking about using nail varnish but enamel paints might work
    after all it does not get real hot inside that is the point of microwaves innit

dying to hear how it turns out
  • lessbigal
    Options
    Of course its ok to paint it. But sooner is better than later. Only really worth it if you touch up small areas before they get too big. Usually occurs where the plate carrier rolls over the base. Any rust should be treated first. Acrylic enamels are ok. Can be bought very cheaply if you look around. Internet sites charge postage and won't be cheap. Probabley worth replacing your wave guide screen. These are only £2.50 from ebay if you cut it to size yourself.
    Generally microwaves will last a long time if you clean them. Leave open to let out water vapour when you have used them. Check the wheels on the plate support are rolling freely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure