Help connecting an old Linksys router to extend wifi signal

Options
I’m hoping someone will be able to give me a simple answer to connecting an old router wirelessly without cable in a downstairs room to give me a better signal.
I did this with the same router years ago but now can’t figure out despite hours of looking at Youtube videos.

Old Linksys router WRT54GS v 5.1 DD-WRT firmware done years ago. Router also now reset
Plugged into laptop running wireless

Laptop IP 1912.168.0.18 connected to Linksys router with Ethernet cable
Default gateway IP 192.168.0.1

Computer IPv4 192.168.0.10 connected to Virgin hub
Default gateway IP 192.168.0.1

I know that I have to make the IP addresses different in order for it to work but each time I type the Linksys router address into the laptop to enable me to bring up the Linksys set up, I get the Virgin hub page.

I’m struggling to know what I’m doing wrong.
I would be VERY grateful if anyone can advise

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chances are both routers have the same IP and it's causing a conflict. If the Linksys is not connected to the network yet and you are trying to configure it using the laptop via Ethernet, make sure that the WiFi is disabled, in case the laptop tries to connect to the Virgin router that has (maybe) the same address.

What's the IP of the Linksys? Can you ping it?
  • SMarg
    SMarg Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes they both have the same IP address - all are listed above. The router shows as DD-WRT on my main computer as a wireless network but at present isn't connecting to anything.

I'm trying to configure the Linksys router with the laptop connected to an ethernet cable but the laptop is functioning on wireless if that makes sense.

I decided to use the laptop so I wouldn't mess up the Virgin hub which is connected via ethernet to the main computer
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Temporarily turn off wifi on your laptop and then it will use the ethernet connection and connect ok.
  • SMarg
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that shortly
  • arciere
    Options
    Switch off the WiFi on the laptop, otherwise Windows has no idea which router you are trying to access when you type 192.168.0.1

That being said, if they have the same IP, even if the WiFi is switched off, it may cause confusion in the ARP table (where Windows stores IP addresses with the corresponding MAC address), because the same IP address will be linked to two MAC addresses.

Try that, but if it still doesn't work, change the IP address before you start doing anything else.
  • SMarg
    Options
    Ok now getting somewhere after instructions to turn wifi off.
    Followed Youtube right to the end but not connecting.

After pinging the router the IP address is 192.168.1.1
    The computer/virgin hub is IP 192.168.0.1

In the setup I followed in the video I then changed that router to 192.168.1.2 but not sure if that was correct and maybe it should have been 192.168.0.2 to follow the Hub?

The video I have been following is https://youtu.be/oJaYE9Yk7gc
  • arciere
    Options
    Don't use an IP address close to the other router's, you risk having an IP conflict if another device is using it.
    If the main router is 192.168.0.1, use 192.168.0.254 for the other router.
    Your computer should have its address assigned by DHCP, unless you know exactly what IP you can use.
  • SMarg
    Options
    FINALLY!!

Thanks so much - now appears to be working so that hopefully Chromecast won't be buffering in future.

Changed the IP address and had to do a release and renew and all appears well so keeping fingers crossed.

Can't tell you how many hours and videos I watched and got stumped all because of not turning the wifi off on laptop and changing to another IP address! So simple

:j:j:j
  • SMarg
    Options
    Just one more question - my internet is split into 2G and 5G because of connections problems. I used the 2G for the router. Would I have been best to set it up with the 5G?
  • arciere
    Options
    SMarg wrote: »
    Just one more question - my internet is split into 2G and 5G because of connections problems. I used the 2G for the router. Would I have been best to set it up with the 5G?
    It depends on the signal. 5 Ghz WiFi has better throughput but shorter range, so if the two routers are relatively close to each other, you can try the 5 Ghz, otherwise you are probably better off with the 2.4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure