Invesco High Income

Options
Primrose
Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 26 January 2020 at 2:29PM in Savings & investments
Can somebody please explain whether i should be concerned about my historical long term ISA holding in Invesco High Income.

I have read that there is concern about the high number of unlisted stocks it holds and that some investors are withdrawing money from the fund. Is there any other fund with a similar profile Into which i could switch or is this a glitch which should correct itself as a result of the economy now hopefully being able to move forward with more certainty following Brexit?

Comments

• StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think that’s the Mark Barnett fund that has had a lot of withdrawals but I don’t personally know if it’s anything to worry about.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 January 2020 at 9:34PM
    Options
    I know nothing of this UK fund, but “high income” suggests either risky stocks or risky bonds to me and if it is underperforming then it’s easy for panic to set in. Everyone that buys an investment should do so because it fills a fundamental function within a portfolio and also have a plan of what to do with it in both good and bad times. Without such a plan they end up in the OP’s situation and would probably have been better buying a multi-asset fund or a few index trackers. I cannot answer the OP’s question sensibly as I decided I don’t have the knowledge or courage to buy such funds a long time ago.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Investors are withdrawing money because it is one of the (if not the) worst performing funds in its sector the past years and many other funds in the same sector have done better.

Over the last 3 years to end of 2019 it has lost 0.5% in value compared to a gain of 24% for the average all companies sector fund.
  • Primrose
    Options
    Which rather begs the question, how quickly does one ditch a fund that is not performing well? After one year, or is that too soon or is a fund manager allowed to have a bad year if they've invested in companies which are temporarily out of fashion but they've otherwise had a good investment record.

How quickly do you all cut and run?
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2020 at 6:15PM
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Which rather begs the question, how quickly does one ditch a fund that is not performing well? After one year, or is that too soon or is a fund manager allowed to have a bad year if they've invested in companies which are temporarily out of fashion but they've otherwise had a good investment record.

If you use a momentum strategy you should be selling the losers and buying the winners. I have no idea of the criteria; maybe a certain percentage less than the league leaders or below some benchmark. If you are rebalancing then short term poor performance might be seen as an buying opportunity. I really have no idea, which is one reason why I like to use index trackers as they pretty much match their benchmark and so I don't have any tactical buying and selling choices to make.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Which rather begs the question, how quickly does one ditch a fund that is not performing well?
    When you have lost faith in it. When the fear of losing even more of your money outweighs the fear of losing your pride if it bounces back up and proves you wrong. When the reasons you use to justify holding on are backward-looking ("It used to do well for me") rather than forward-looking ("I have faith that the manager's strategy of holding small and unlisted companies will outperform over the market cycle").

Actively managed funds should underperform their indices from time to time, otherwise they're closet trackers and you may as well just switch to a proper cheap tracker.

What percentage of your portfolio does it form? Do you have faith in the manager's strategy of high allocations to small and micro cap equities or was it just a "name" purchase?
  • Joe9090
    Joe9090 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Didn't Woodford manage Invesco High Income?
  • Primrose
    Options
    Yes he did before he left Invesco to set up his own fund
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »

Equity income funds will suffer during a part of the economic cycle. That is to be expected. However, you may well feel that this fund has gone beyond that. It fell off our list at the end of 2015.

A good idea is to ask yourself if you would invest in that fund if you had the cash today. If yes, then keep. If no, then sell.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 January 2020 at 7:13PM
    Options
    Investors in the Invesco High Income fund(s) are among the most patient and passive in the industry. A good proportion are those who didn't jump ship with Woodford. Many have their holdings wrapped up in ISAs too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure