Procedure for claiming tax back on sale of Canadian Shares

Options
I'm posting this on behalf of my partner:

I have sold a quantity of shares in my holding of Thomson Reuters as part of a Dutch auction (A Dutch auction is a public offering auction structure in which the price of the offering is set after taking in all bids to determine the highest price at which the total offering can be sold. In this type of auction, investors place a bid for the amount they are willing to buy in terms of quantity and price.)[FONT=SourceSansPro, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=SourceSansPro, sans-serif]I received a capital payment and an income payment. The income payment was subject to Canadian withholding tax of 25% (as Thomson Reuters is a Canadian company). As a UK taxpayer I need only pay 15% on shares sold and I now need to apply for a refund from the Canadian tax authorities. After a great deal of searching online, I have found form NR7-R E (18) application for refund of tax withheld, which I believe may be the correct form. I also have a tax certificate from my broker service (Halifax) proving the income and tax paid.[/FONT]
[FONT=SourceSansPro, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=SourceSansPro, sans-serif]Has anyone had a similar experience or knowledge if the steps I am taking are correct, and if there are any other measures I need to undertake to ensure the process works.[/FONT]
[FONT=SourceSansPro, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=SourceSansPro, sans-serif]Many thanks
[/FONT]

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts